2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Still alive
By Still alive on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I just replaced my 2003 ML500 with a used 2005 ML500 for one reason only...it fully prtected me, my and dog during a high speed T-bone accident which resulted in a rollover one and half times with a 180 degree spin on it's roof. We all walked away with seat belt bruises which demonstrated the cockpit safety and protection worked well. The 45 MPH crash resulted ion less than 6 inches of body depression at impact. I was almost blind sided but had the instant acceleration to prevent her from hitting my door directly. We had many fine road trips on our 112,000 mile journey with it, reliable and well serviced. I"m happy we found a replacement to keep us safe and on the road.

Great Car
By CPad on 04/20/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my ML with 35K miles on it and it's been the absolute best car I've ever owned. I love the solid feel (other's descriptions of a tank are accurate) and I feel completely safe in this vehicle. It handles beautifully in the wet, snowy weather in my area. I too have had trouble with the flaking on the back windows but that's about it cosmetically. The car handles like a dream and has enough horsepower to get me out of a tough place if I ever find myself in one. Can't seem to find a phone that works thru the speaker feature tho...

Great SUV
By ML500 on 12/15/08 15:38 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a wonderful car to own. I've had it for 4 years. I've taken good care of it, and in return it's taken good care of me. I've been looking to move on to my next purchase but have had a difficult time finding something that I like enough to give this one up. The 2005 model year ML was the best looking, particularly the special edition which I have. It was the most distinctive design. MB ruined the ML with the introduction of the 2006 model year that looked almost identical to every other middle sized SUV on the road. From 2006 on, they look like a Kia Sorento, A lexus RX, and every other round bubble SUV on the market. Had one small problem in year 1, a faulty battery.

Very Good SUV
By JT on 05/15/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The '05 ML500 is the last MB suv I will be buying unless MB improves on the '06 ML and GL. MB cannot afford to build the '05 ML500 at today's material prices, hence the cost cutting measures on the '06 models. My main concern is safety. My wife drives the vechile on the interstate 40 miles each way and if I have to put a little extra money into maitenace in the '05ML its well worth it. A little noise and rattle is small price to safety of a loved one.

Long Live the Mercedes Brand....Not!!
By KJ on 12/05/05 16:30 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Nice looking SUV w/great power and handling. Quality leather interior and sound system. Plenty of room for SUV's in this class. Goes downhill from here. Squeaky brakes that dealer says is s MB problem and they put on free lubricant for 1 yr then you are on your own. Dunlop tires are inferior for a 50k SUV. After 20k miles and a loud ride, dealer says you need new tires and not to replace w/Dunlop. Stiff gas pedal takes a lot to get used to, dealer says they made the cable to short. Dealer nor MB Client Services will stand behind brake/tire issue. Agree with another reivew that MB will be dead in 5 years unless radical changes are made

Not just eye candy
By Cruiser on 07/10/05 11:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

It is a great vehicle with everything a SUV should be and then some. I have driven several SUV's, but this one lets you know the very minute you sit down in the driver's seat that perfomance and control, as well as safety, have been adressed in this vehicle. Also, the comfort and entertainment package will blow you away. In short, prepare yourself for the best.

ML500- Not a Lexus or BMW
By Ken on 04/12/05 22:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Squeaky brakes, annoying rattle in the hatch, stiff and sticky gas pedal...all of which the shop foreman has heard before. To fix breaks they will apply an anti-squeal formula for free that will get me through the first year, then what? Check engine light that will not go off...all in the first 5000 miles. Gas mileage is poor but I expected that. Best part is I have to pay for the service intervals....a cost cutting measure in 2005. After seeing all the plastic/rubber on the new 2006 model, I am glad I did not wait. This is my first Mercedes!

Sporty Feel
By Fireball on 01/30/05 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Looked at from the outside, this vehicle looks small, but I'm impressed by the cargo room. Two large crates for our German Shepherds will fit into the cargo section with rear seats down. Climate control system is superb, with vents in the rear seating area. I'm also impressed by the safety features. There are no blind spots. Nice fit and finish all 'round i.e. no squeaks or rattles, but bear in mind only 3K on the odometer.

My benz is great
By jaason on 01/27/05 16:51 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The ML500 special edition is great. It is very good with gas. It goes from 0-60 in about 4 to 5 seconds and there is alot of cargo space.

Beautiful SUV, great handling
By ML 500 Special Ed on 01/20/05 10:29 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second ML, had the ML 320 2001 first and loved it as well. I just bought the ML 500 Special Ed and there are many improvements. My first one had some problems, but as 4 more years have passed I am hoping they have made additional improvements in reliability. There is nothing comparable out there as far as style and this time around I am finding that the car rides much quieter. The turn radius is excellent, making it very easy to park just about anywhere. I found other SUV's like the Lexus too big and bulky for what I was looking for. This SUV rides tight and handles really well! I love it! Is very luxurious inside!