Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Still alive
By Still alive

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I just replaced my 2003 ML500 with a used 2005 ML500 for one reason only...it fully prtected me, my and dog during a high speed T-bone accident which resulted in a rollover one and half times with a 180 degree spin on it's roof. We all walked away with seat belt bruises which demonstrated the cockpit safety and protection worked well. The 45 MPH crash resulted ion less than 6 inches of body depression at impact. I was almost blind sided but had the instant acceleration to prevent her from hitting my door directly. We had many fine road trips on our 112,000 mile journey with it, reliable and well serviced. I"m happy we found a replacement to keep us safe and on the road.

Favorite Features

Response, road handling and safety. Stops on a dime and backroad rides are extremely comfortable. Handles BLM roads securely and holds the road well. Comfortable and safe cockpit seats during rollover side impact accidents at high speed (45MPH)

Suggested Improvements

Better attachment of rugs on rear seats. Rugs pull out when boxes are slid over them when seats are down and are impossible to repair well. Decrease the glare of the dashboard display lights for fog lights. The bright green hinders night vision and rteflects around the cabin.

Great Car
By CPad

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my ML with 35K miles on it and it's been the absolute best car I've ever owned. I love the solid feel (other's descriptions of a tank are accurate) and I feel completely safe in this vehicle. It handles beautifully in the wet, snowy weather in my area. I too have had trouble with the flaking on the back windows but that's about it cosmetically. The car handles like a dream and has enough horsepower to get me out of a tough place if I ever find myself in one. Can't seem to find a phone that works thru the speaker feature tho...

Favorite Features

heated seats, self-adjusting backup mirror, seat memory, the general feel of driving this vehicle

Suggested Improvements

rear seat levers (too hard to fold down), don't unlock ALL doors when one door is unlocked (kids in the back), better gas mileage (but it's a big engine, I know), window controls on the door instead of console (confuses everyone), headrests that fold down into the seats when not in use (on newer)

Great SUV
By ML500

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a wonderful car to own. I've had it for 4 years. I've taken good care of it, and in return it's taken good care of me. I've been looking to move on to my next purchase but have had a difficult time finding something that I like enough to give this one up. The 2005 model year ML was the best looking, particularly the special edition which I have. It was the most distinctive design. MB ruined the ML with the introduction of the 2006 model year that looked almost identical to every other middle sized SUV on the road. From 2006 on, they look like a Kia Sorento, A lexus RX, and every other round bubble SUV on the market. Had one small problem in year 1, a faulty battery.

Favorite Features

The power, the safeness of driving around in a small tank, airbags galore, the way it feels safely attached to the road and not tipsy like most other SUVs, the interior is very nice, Navigation is easy to use. The 4 wheel drive suspension made it trucky and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know what the current model year has, so I can't really suggest improvements. Maybe try to go back to a time when the ML was distinguishable from every other SUV.

Very Good SUV
By JT

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The '05 ML500 is the last MB suv I will be buying unless MB improves on the '06 ML and GL. MB cannot afford to build the '05 ML500 at today's material prices, hence the cost cutting measures on the '06 models. My main concern is safety. My wife drives the vechile on the interstate 40 miles each way and if I have to put a little extra money into maitenace in the '05ML its well worth it. A little noise and rattle is small price to safety of a loved one.

Favorite Features

Sturdy body construction, no unibody.

Suggested Improvements

Longer brake pad life.

Long Live the Mercedes Brand....Not!!
By KJ

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Nice looking SUV w/great power and handling. Quality leather interior and sound system. Plenty of room for SUV's in this class. Goes downhill from here. Squeaky brakes that dealer says is s MB problem and they put on free lubricant for 1 yr then you are on your own. Dunlop tires are inferior for a 50k SUV. After 20k miles and a loud ride, dealer says you need new tires and not to replace w/Dunlop. Stiff gas pedal takes a lot to get used to, dealer says they made the cable to short. Dealer nor MB Client Services will stand behind brake/tire issue. Agree with another reivew that MB will be dead in 5 years unless radical changes are made

Favorite Features

Color, heated seats, power, rainsensing wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Squeaky brakes, poor tires, stiff gas pedal, paying for service intervals and a manufacturer that will not stand behind its product.