Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

One of the best cars I've ever owned
By richgunzusa

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

When I first purchased the car it was used, 2 years old, and already had a whopping 75K miles on it (but It only cost me $20,000 so it was a good deal). A few years later during a routine checkup I had to put $5,000 since the previous owner didnt take care of the car. Ever since that one time $5,000 work (replacing tires, breaks, etc) the car works like a dream. At 125K miles it still runs like a dream. I have been to over 25 states in it. This car handled the mountain roads of Vermont without breaking a sweat, never bogged down in New Mexican deserts, and traversed the shallow streams and rivers in Texas without any problems. No matter the terrain this car can outperform anything else.

Favorite Features

The best thing about this car is its ability to traverse any terrain whether it is mountain roads, off road paths, even to cross a small river this car has done it all. Small routine touch ups (like replacing the oil regularly) kept this car problem free for years. The car is also strong. When my old chevy broke down this car towed it to scrap using nothing but rope. It also pulled down a small tree with brute force. Safety is also important. One time a car cut me off and in order to avoid hitting him I quickly veered onto the sidewalk. Besides a little scratch on my rims all was fine. Had it been a sedan the sidewalk would have ripped the bumper off but the ML350 is high off the ground

Suggested Improvements

The only 2 downsides with this car is as follows: Fuel economy: At 15MPG city and 17MPG highway the fuel economy is kinda terrible, especially when you have to tank in premium gas which currently sits at an extortionate $2.55 a gallon in my state. However using cruise control and quality gas (when I say quality gas I mean Mobil, Sunocco, etc not your "kwik e mart gas") I say my highway mileage improve to as much as 21MPG. Technology: As a young adult technology is important in my life. The lack of AUX and USB is kinda a pain in the butt but the 6 CD changer kinda makes up for it. The fact that the navigation requires a CD to work is a huge pain so I ended up just buying a GPS on Amazon

Great Car!
By nonda

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have really enjoyed our 350 ML. Great quality and reliabilty. First tires and brakes wore out quickly (25K) but second set lasted twice as long.

Favorite Features

Solidity

Suggested Improvements

Mecedes always seems a bit dated with their electronics.

Very disappointed in Mercedes
By DLB19

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have to echo many of the complaints already on this site. We've owned ours for 1.5yrs., during which time we've spent slightly over 10k in repairs. If fact, it's in the garage now. Repairs include; new transmission, brakes, wiring, and various other items. Short list of quality issues; wind noise above 50 mph is intolerable, brakes make all kinds of noise at low speed, head liner likes to fall off, paint on side molding also likes to fall off, and a never ending list of repairs, which are all very expensive.

Favorite Features

To ability to trade it in.

Suggested Improvements

This has been such a horrible experience, we are ridding ourselves of the ML350 and our E-Class, which has also had some issues. Sorry guys, but I am very disappointed and will never own another MB.

ML 350 Meet Expectation
By MBFan

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new Special Edition 2005. Vehicle still looks great and drives very well after 5 years. Plan to keep it another 5 years. No major problems. Needed new tires after 20K miles. Don't kid yourself MB still sets the standards. Don't have to worry about safety for wife and children. Unfortunately for other brands we will continue to buy MB, next one in 2014.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, ESP, good power, good handling, perfect size for 4 and dog. Great distinct design and feel safe at all times.

Suggested Improvements

None. If any exists newer models addressed it.

So far so good
By diegogarcia

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles on it. Quite a bit cheaper than a comparable X5, hence the decision for the ML. Added another 20,000 miles to it since then and no problems so far. Paint is peeling off the black window trim in places however. Only real issue was rear seat blower valve which MB fixed at no charge. Service at MB dealer is expensive, but generally in line with BMW, Audi etc. Used to drive a 2001 Jeep GC and the ML is in another league entirely when it comes to handling, traction on snow etc.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seats, Xenon lights, Bose speakers

Suggested Improvements

Sharper brake response (kinda mushy), steering wheel mounted controls, easier back seat folding mechanism