Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

One of the best cars I've ever owned
By richgunzusa

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

When I first purchased the car it was used, 2 years old, and already had a whopping 75K miles on it (but It only cost me $20,000 so it was a good deal). A few years later during a routine checkup I had to put $5,000 since the previous owner didnt take care of the car. Ever since that one time $5,000 work (replacing tires, breaks, etc) the car works like a dream. At 125K miles it still runs like a dream. I have been to over 25 states in it. This car handled the mountain roads of Vermont without breaking a sweat, never bogged down in New Mexican deserts, and traversed the shallow streams and rivers in Texas without any problems. No matter the terrain this car can outperform anything else.

The best thing about this car is its ability to traverse any terrain whether it is mountain roads, off road paths, even to cross a small river this car has done it all. Small routine touch ups (like replacing the oil regularly) kept this car problem free for years. The car is also strong. When my old chevy broke down this car towed it to scrap using nothing but rope. It also pulled down a small tree with brute force. Safety is also important. One time a car cut me off and in order to avoid hitting him I quickly veered onto the sidewalk. Besides a little scratch on my rims all was fine. Had it been a sedan the sidewalk would have ripped the bumper off but the ML350 is high off the ground

The only 2 downsides with this car is as follows: Fuel economy: At 15MPG city and 17MPG highway the fuel economy is kinda terrible, especially when you have to tank in premium gas which currently sits at an extortionate $2.55 a gallon in my state. However using cruise control and quality gas (when I say quality gas I mean Mobil, Sunocco, etc not your "kwik e mart gas") I say my highway mileage improve to as much as 21MPG. Technology: As a young adult technology is important in my life. The lack of AUX and USB is kinda a pain in the butt but the 6 CD changer kinda makes up for it. The fact that the navigation requires a CD to work is a huge pain so I ended up just buying a GPS on Amazon

Great Car!
By nonda

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have really enjoyed our 350 ML. Great quality and reliabilty. First tires and brakes wore out quickly (25K) but second set lasted twice as long.

Solidity

Mecedes always seems a bit dated with their electronics.

Very disappointed in Mercedes
By DLB19

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have to echo many of the complaints already on this site. We've owned ours for 1.5yrs., during which time we've spent slightly over 10k in repairs. If fact, it's in the garage now. Repairs include; new transmission, brakes, wiring, and various other items. Short list of quality issues; wind noise above 50 mph is intolerable, brakes make all kinds of noise at low speed, head liner likes to fall off, paint on side molding also likes to fall off, and a never ending list of repairs, which are all very expensive.

To ability to trade it in.

This has been such a horrible experience, we are ridding ourselves of the ML350 and our E-Class, which has also had some issues. Sorry guys, but I am very disappointed and will never own another MB.

Still alive
By Still alive

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I just replaced my 2003 ML500 with a used 2005 ML500 for one reason only...it fully prtected me, my and dog during a high speed T-bone accident which resulted in a rollover one and half times with a 180 degree spin on it's roof. We all walked away with seat belt bruises which demonstrated the cockpit safety and protection worked well. The 45 MPH crash resulted ion less than 6 inches of body depression at impact. I was almost blind sided but had the instant acceleration to prevent her from hitting my door directly. We had many fine road trips on our 112,000 mile journey with it, reliable and well serviced. I"m happy we found a replacement to keep us safe and on the road.

Response, road handling and safety. Stops on a dime and backroad rides are extremely comfortable. Handles BLM roads securely and holds the road well. Comfortable and safe cockpit seats during rollover side impact accidents at high speed (45MPH)

Better attachment of rugs on rear seats. Rugs pull out when boxes are slid over them when seats are down and are impossible to repair well. Decrease the glare of the dashboard display lights for fog lights. The bright green hinders night vision and rteflects around the cabin.

Great Car
By CPad

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my ML with 35K miles on it and it's been the absolute best car I've ever owned. I love the solid feel (other's descriptions of a tank are accurate) and I feel completely safe in this vehicle. It handles beautifully in the wet, snowy weather in my area. I too have had trouble with the flaking on the back windows but that's about it cosmetically. The car handles like a dream and has enough horsepower to get me out of a tough place if I ever find myself in one. Can't seem to find a phone that works thru the speaker feature tho...

heated seats, self-adjusting backup mirror, seat memory, the general feel of driving this vehicle

rear seat levers (too hard to fold down), don't unlock ALL doors when one door is unlocked (kids in the back), better gas mileage (but it's a big engine, I know), window controls on the door instead of console (confuses everyone), headrests that fold down into the seats when not in use (on newer)