2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Great Car!
By nonda on 05/27/11 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have really enjoyed our 350 ML. Great quality and reliabilty. First tires and brakes wore out quickly (25K) but second set lasted twice as long.

Very disappointed in Mercedes
By DLB19 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have to echo many of the complaints already on this site. We've owned ours for 1.5yrs., during which time we've spent slightly over 10k in repairs. If fact, it's in the garage now. Repairs include; new transmission, brakes, wiring, and various other items. Short list of quality issues; wind noise above 50 mph is intolerable, brakes make all kinds of noise at low speed, head liner likes to fall off, paint on side molding also likes to fall off, and a never ending list of repairs, which are all very expensive.

Still alive
By Still alive on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I just replaced my 2003 ML500 with a used 2005 ML500 for one reason only...it fully prtected me, my and dog during a high speed T-bone accident which resulted in a rollover one and half times with a 180 degree spin on it's roof. We all walked away with seat belt bruises which demonstrated the cockpit safety and protection worked well. The 45 MPH crash resulted ion less than 6 inches of body depression at impact. I was almost blind sided but had the instant acceleration to prevent her from hitting my door directly. We had many fine road trips on our 112,000 mile journey with it, reliable and well serviced. I"m happy we found a replacement to keep us safe and on the road.

Great Car
By CPad on 04/20/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my ML with 35K miles on it and it's been the absolute best car I've ever owned. I love the solid feel (other's descriptions of a tank are accurate) and I feel completely safe in this vehicle. It handles beautifully in the wet, snowy weather in my area. I too have had trouble with the flaking on the back windows but that's about it cosmetically. The car handles like a dream and has enough horsepower to get me out of a tough place if I ever find myself in one. Can't seem to find a phone that works thru the speaker feature tho...

ML 350 Meet Expectation
By MBFan on 12/29/09 09:09 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new Special Edition 2005. Vehicle still looks great and drives very well after 5 years. Plan to keep it another 5 years. No major problems. Needed new tires after 20K miles. Don't kid yourself MB still sets the standards. Don't have to worry about safety for wife and children. Unfortunately for other brands we will continue to buy MB, next one in 2014.

So far so good
By diegogarcia on 08/13/09 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles on it. Quite a bit cheaper than a comparable X5, hence the decision for the ML. Added another 20,000 miles to it since then and no problems so far. Paint is peeling off the black window trim in places however. Only real issue was rear seat blower valve which MB fixed at no charge. Service at MB dealer is expensive, but generally in line with BMW, Audi etc. Used to drive a 2001 Jeep GC and the ML is in another league entirely when it comes to handling, traction on snow etc.

Great SUV
By ML500 on 12/15/08 15:38 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a wonderful car to own. I've had it for 4 years. I've taken good care of it, and in return it's taken good care of me. I've been looking to move on to my next purchase but have had a difficult time finding something that I like enough to give this one up. The 2005 model year ML was the best looking, particularly the special edition which I have. It was the most distinctive design. MB ruined the ML with the introduction of the 2006 model year that looked almost identical to every other middle sized SUV on the road. From 2006 on, they look like a Kia Sorento, A lexus RX, and every other round bubble SUV on the market. Had one small problem in year 1, a faulty battery.

Love it , warts and all
By MarkE on 10/19/08 05:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Owned new, our comfy 4 travel loaded sport modl skied with 4 adult pass, held us/all luggage (skis on roof rack, bit tight but ok) Likes: heated front seats, xenons, moon roof, neat cupholder fold out dash in front of each front seat (wish new ML had), trick center console with 2 position flip top (wish again), nav, teleaid for concierge, mass, surefooted (ESP), one always on power port great for cell Dislikes: black metal trim around windows always sheds paint(?), replaced under ext warr 3x and needs again, road mpg 21 premium, locked keys in, teleaid unable to unlock as advertised/no obstruction anywhere to satellite-said this model was 'tricky' 2 unlok,keep spare outside, no heated rear seat, paid 37k, worth 20k

Ho-hum
By RT on 04/13/08 05:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I'd have to say that overall I am not that happy with this MB product. It is my first and probably last. The cost cutting features become obvious after the cache of driving a Mercedes wears off. Too many typical MB luxury features were cut out of the "special edition" which would have been more aptly named the "lower class" edition. More enjoyable to own and drive that the comparable ford explorer, but I have also experienced the quick wear of dunlop oem tires and the 25k mile brake job. Should not have to replace ball joint and drive train bearings/valve in under 50k miles. Reliability very disappointing for a $40K plus vehicle. Handling better than expected for a virtual road tank!

No Luxury Car!
By Elizabeth on 03/13/08 10:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first MB purchase, and I bought it for the "reliability" and craftsmanship - HA! At 26K, needed to replace all 4 tires (get rid of Dunlop!), had leaking rear differential and the low-range light kept flashing. At 52k, entire front end had to be rebuilt (just off warranty, thank you very much), needed new front brake rotors and brake pads all around, front headlight "leaking". At 72K, had to replace radiator (cracked extrusion joint), and rear differential again had to be fixed. I can't wait to get rid of this crappy car.