2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Great Car!
By nonda on 05/27/11 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have really enjoyed our 350 ML. Great quality and reliabilty. First tires and brakes wore out quickly (25K) but second set lasted twice as long.

Very disappointed in Mercedes
By DLB19 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have to echo many of the complaints already on this site. We've owned ours for 1.5yrs., during which time we've spent slightly over 10k in repairs. If fact, it's in the garage now. Repairs include; new transmission, brakes, wiring, and various other items. Short list of quality issues; wind noise above 50 mph is intolerable, brakes make all kinds of noise at low speed, head liner likes to fall off, paint on side molding also likes to fall off, and a never ending list of repairs, which are all very expensive.

ML 350 Meet Expectation
By MBFan on 12/29/09 09:09 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new Special Edition 2005. Vehicle still looks great and drives very well after 5 years. Plan to keep it another 5 years. No major problems. Needed new tires after 20K miles. Don't kid yourself MB still sets the standards. Don't have to worry about safety for wife and children. Unfortunately for other brands we will continue to buy MB, next one in 2014.

So far so good
By diegogarcia on 08/13/09 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles on it. Quite a bit cheaper than a comparable X5, hence the decision for the ML. Added another 20,000 miles to it since then and no problems so far. Paint is peeling off the black window trim in places however. Only real issue was rear seat blower valve which MB fixed at no charge. Service at MB dealer is expensive, but generally in line with BMW, Audi etc. Used to drive a 2001 Jeep GC and the ML is in another league entirely when it comes to handling, traction on snow etc.

Love it , warts and all
By MarkE on 10/19/08 05:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Owned new, our comfy 4 travel loaded sport modl skied with 4 adult pass, held us/all luggage (skis on roof rack, bit tight but ok) Likes: heated front seats, xenons, moon roof, neat cupholder fold out dash in front of each front seat (wish new ML had), trick center console with 2 position flip top (wish again), nav, teleaid for concierge, mass, surefooted (ESP), one always on power port great for cell Dislikes: black metal trim around windows always sheds paint(?), replaced under ext warr 3x and needs again, road mpg 21 premium, locked keys in, teleaid unable to unlock as advertised/no obstruction anywhere to satellite-said this model was 'tricky' 2 unlok,keep spare outside, no heated rear seat, paid 37k, worth 20k

Ho-hum
By RT on 04/13/08 05:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I'd have to say that overall I am not that happy with this MB product. It is my first and probably last. The cost cutting features become obvious after the cache of driving a Mercedes wears off. Too many typical MB luxury features were cut out of the "special edition" which would have been more aptly named the "lower class" edition. More enjoyable to own and drive that the comparable ford explorer, but I have also experienced the quick wear of dunlop oem tires and the 25k mile brake job. Should not have to replace ball joint and drive train bearings/valve in under 50k miles. Reliability very disappointing for a $40K plus vehicle. Handling better than expected for a virtual road tank!

No Luxury Car!
By Elizabeth on 03/13/08 10:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first MB purchase, and I bought it for the "reliability" and craftsmanship - HA! At 26K, needed to replace all 4 tires (get rid of Dunlop!), had leaking rear differential and the low-range light kept flashing. At 52k, entire front end had to be rebuilt (just off warranty, thank you very much), needed new front brake rotors and brake pads all around, front headlight "leaking". At 72K, had to replace radiator (cracked extrusion joint), and rear differential again had to be fixed. I can't wait to get rid of this crappy car.

It's still an SUV
By ru2bsi2 on 01/06/08 19:27 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my BMW 528i for the 2005 ML350 Special Edition. If you're in the market for an SUV that drives like a sports car, that accelerates, responds & maneuvers nimbly - This is definitely it! Pinch me. Remind myself that this is an SUV. I wanted a car that had views of a truck + seats 4 adults + roomy cargo space. This is heaven! Knowing that I would give up a few things (i.e. sensible gas mileage and sports car bucket seats) - It is well worth it!

ML 350 Experience
By Hans on 02/10/07 22:47 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have the car 2 years now, so far no technical problems. This is second Mercedes, the first one being an E320 4Matic. We came into the dealer to buy a C240 4Matic, but when my wife saw the 350, she was attracted to it. The price was very attractive so after a short test drive we decided to go for it. In retrospect, I kick myself for making such a spontaneous decision. The car is no comparision to the smoothness of the E320. This one feels really like a truck. But my main issues with the car are the engine and the fuel economy. The engine does not feel and sound like a Mercedes engine, it is underpowered and noisy, awful. Fuel consumption is horrible. Never will buy again.

I want to sell the it
By Yijian on 01/14/06 08:49 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

First time SUV owner. I feel ML is really a truck rather than a car. High performance engine, very responsive handling, strong feedbacks from the road. These also come with noisy engine, rough ride (for driver and passengers), bad gas mileage. Have driven other SUVs, ML is worst in term of comfort, long distance ride will not be fun for passengers. Interior is simple and dull. Window control, cruise control and cup holder seem in strange place, not very intuitive. Lack of standard features such as seat bel sensors, trunk open sensors, trip computers. No luxury features.

1 2 3 4 5 next »