2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Now Seeking Leagal Advice
By Erwin on 02/05/07 20:00 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle will be going into the shop for the fourth time. I have had numerous problems with this vehicle stalling and ideling rough. I have had issues with the window trim pain peeling off to the EGR Valve being repleced. This vehilce is now becoming a thorn in my side. I only want what I paid for a reliable vehicle which this is not. Save yourself time, money, and most importantly the saftey of your family think before you purchase this vehilce.

Passed By
By Frank on 01/23/07 16:49 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This Mercedes was good in its day but has been far exceeded by the likes of Lexus, and BMW. Gas mileage is horrible. You can expect 17-18 at best on long trips, 11 to 12 around town. For the same price you are better off with the E-350 4 matic which will deliver 24-25 mpg. The navigation although accurate is ancient (look at the Lexus) You'll think your comparing a video game from 1995 to 2005. Unfortunately the new Mercedes ML is not much better.You'll also find operating the navigation consists of moving a joy stick. Unfortunately this has also carried over to the new ML. Pretty stupid! Electronics and comfort features are deffinately not Mercedes strengths. Also braking is heavy.

Pocket Rocket
By gajeffo on 01/06/07 08:59 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Well I'm still OK with this car. Just put new tires on it, Toyo Proxys, and it seems to have gotten rid of the road noise. The Dunlops stink! They just seem to be way too soft and as they got some age on them the ride was terrible, bouncing and swaying everywhere. This car has had zero problems mechanically and the dealership replaced the 2 back side panels as the clearcoat was coming off. (each side of the rear glass) I still think that for the money Mercedes could put a little more into this vehicle. ie: lumbar, power tilt and telescopic wheel. But go see if your Lexus can move like this!

MB Experience
By PittsburghMB on 11/04/06 06:53 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this ML350 for over 3 years. I have had no problems and the car has been fun to drive. The cargo space is great. I would recomend the ML if you are in the SUV market.

Safe, Incredible in Snow, Low MPG
By Dave on 09/17/05 19:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderful SUV. Built like a tank. 4-wheel drive is insane: went up in the mountains last new year, did not use snow chains because did not need to! I did not even know I was driving in snow, the truck is so stable! Watched other drivers in luxury SUVs struggling in snow as I was simply cruising along. Problems: no audio controls on the steering wheel (which was addressed in 2006 model), steering wheel is not telescopic like BMW X5, MPG is really 11-12MPG, even in V6. Cassette is hidden inside the entertainment unit which makes it hard to connect IPOD via a cassette adopter. CD-changer should be in front not in the trunk.

Noise from SUV is Loud and not Smooth
By campbell on 01/14/05 19:42 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is designed and built like you might expect from Mercedes, but the one I own sounds loud and isn't smooth because of a "wobble" sound in rear that Mercedes can identify and correct. I will try again to get this problem resolved soon. The warranty Mercedes service center said the warranty expired for tires balance and alignment. I have only 14,600 miles (about the time for an oil change in Mercedes); don't get fooled by the 4 year general warranty; service will come out of your pocket for things you do not expect after paying the sticker price. They should correct the mechanical or tire sound coming from the rear of the SUV, but they are asking me to pay for it...last MB for me.

No Regrets
By noregret on 12/22/04 00:38 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV somewhat worried about quality but it has been terrific. It is a joy to ride and I and peace of mind with my family in it. We have driven it on snow, ice, freeway, mountain roads, towed waverunners and it passes with flying colors!

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!
By JP122 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutly without equal the biggest piece of junk I ever owned in my life. Was in the shop at least once a month. Mercedes service stinks. Couldn't figure out the electrical problems after numerous visits. Problem solved, traded in on a Lexus RX330 and there is no comparison between these 2 vehicles.

I love my car
By deejared on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love my car. I had driven the ML several years ago and did not like they way it drove,the changes made to the suspension make this car wonderful to drive. I will definetly purchase a new ML when the 2006 comes out.

ML has a heavy and sticky gas pedal.
By JBear on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

One very annoying problem that is mentioned by many ML owners is the heavy and sticky feel of the gas pedal. It makes it difficult and uncomfortable to drive smoothly. MB service just says "that's the way it is" there's no fix. That is unfortunate because there is a lot to like about the ML and this problem is something that you experience every single time you drive. MB engineers need to drive a BMW and experience the silky smooth progression of the BMW throttle.