2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Don't do it!
By dan_the_man1 on 05/25/14 07:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased a 2004 MB 350 with 32,000 miles on it, thinking we would have a high quality vehicle for many years. We were half right. The vehicle is now ten years old and we have had one problem after another. At 52,000 miles the water pump broke. MB would not stand behind it. Shortly thereafter, we discovered the power steering was leaking. The bearing in the front wheel drive needs to be replaced. Now a light module is defective, discharging the battery almost daily. It's been one problem after another. Buy a Lexus or Acura!

Do not buy this SUV
By Sheikh711 on 07/23/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Biggest mistake I did buying this SUV. It feels like I am driving a TANK - very very uncomfortable and feels like there is no grip on the road. I am always scared turning this car on hard corners. Do yourself a favor and look for some other car in this class or WALK rather than ride in this SUV.

My favorite vehicle in 35 years
By Denver commuter on 03/07/10 16:29 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 ML350 in june '05 with 18,000 miles on it. I commute about 50 miles per day. I've taken it on about 6 long-distance road trips too. 107,000 miles as of March '10 It is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Poor MPG (avg. 17.5). Wears out tires every 25,000 mi. Best mechanical reliability I've ever had, despite chronic "clunking" tranny on downshift from day one. I spent $1500 and many dealer visits trying to get that fixed to no avail. Interior plastic skirts around front seats broke early on from pressure of sitting. Coating on all dark exterior metal rapidly deteriorated. I would buy another one if they still made them.

Great family car
By Crocker Highlands on 09/09/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our ML with 42000 miles as a CPO vehicle nearly two years ago. Since then we've been to the dealership only twice for scheduled maintenance. The car is incredibly dependable, performs well on most surfaces, handles well, and hauls just about anything you can throw at it. We love it and would buy another in a heart beat.

A "Champ"
By Jeff on 07/19/09 07:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My '04 ML350 is my 4th ML; I was hit a 55 head on in my '99 and was uninjured. These are incredible vehicles, best safety available, great on/off road. Lacks come luxury features and mpg is horrible even w/v-6. Tight turning ratio, good seats; very heavy and capable. If you want a SUV that is very safe, handles well, comfortable, holds and tows lots of cargo, this is a great buy. The newer models are even better driving, but lack the turning ration and low range gear for extreme conditions. Drivers need to be aware of how heavy it is when braking and anticipating turns. The amount of steel and safety features are simply unavailable elsewhere. Eats tires and brakes, but stops very well.

Can't Touch This Vehicle!
By BENZ LOVER on 03/17/07 10:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We recently purchased a Toyota Sienna Mini-van. With AWD and options that came standard on the Mercedes, the price was $3000 more than we paid for the ML350! We have not spent a cent on maintenance in 3+ years-all standard service covered plus warranty! Had a small problem with side window coating like other reviews I have read-replaced by dealer during regular maintenance visit-no problem. This car has the most stable, solid ride I can imagine for a truck. It's impossible to get this vehicle to sway, and the horsepower is great. You need a V-8 plus $15 grand to match the power in a BMW. To quiet Benz bashers in the media - this is a beautiful, well-built vehicle and an exceptional value!

Now Seeking Leagal Advice
By Erwin on 02/05/07 20:00 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle will be going into the shop for the fourth time. I have had numerous problems with this vehicle stalling and ideling rough. I have had issues with the window trim pain peeling off to the EGR Valve being repleced. This vehilce is now becoming a thorn in my side. I only want what I paid for a reliable vehicle which this is not. Save yourself time, money, and most importantly the saftey of your family think before you purchase this vehilce.

MB Experience
By PittsburghMB on 11/04/06 06:53 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this ML350 for over 3 years. I have had no problems and the car has been fun to drive. The cargo space is great. I would recomend the ML if you are in the SUV market.

Safe, Incredible in Snow, Low MPG
By Dave on 09/17/05 19:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderful SUV. Built like a tank. 4-wheel drive is insane: went up in the mountains last new year, did not use snow chains because did not need to! I did not even know I was driving in snow, the truck is so stable! Watched other drivers in luxury SUVs struggling in snow as I was simply cruising along. Problems: no audio controls on the steering wheel (which was addressed in 2006 model), steering wheel is not telescopic like BMW X5, MPG is really 11-12MPG, even in V6. Cassette is hidden inside the entertainment unit which makes it hard to connect IPOD via a cassette adopter. CD-changer should be in front not in the trunk.

No Regrets
By noregret on 12/22/04 00:38 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV somewhat worried about quality but it has been terrific. It is a joy to ride and I and peace of mind with my family in it. We have driven it on snow, ice, freeway, mountain roads, towed waverunners and it passes with flying colors!

1 2 3 4 5 next »