Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Don't do it!
By dan_the_man1

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased a 2004 MB 350 with 32,000 miles on it, thinking we would have a high quality vehicle for many years. We were half right. The vehicle is now ten years old and we have had one problem after another. At 52,000 miles the water pump broke. MB would not stand behind it. Shortly thereafter, we discovered the power steering was leaking. The bearing in the front wheel drive needs to be replaced. Now a light module is defective, discharging the battery almost daily. It's been one problem after another. Buy a Lexus or Acura!

Do not buy this SUV
By Sheikh711

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Biggest mistake I did buying this SUV. It feels like I am driving a TANK - very very uncomfortable and feels like there is no grip on the road. I am always scared turning this car on hard corners. Do yourself a favor and look for some other car in this class or WALK rather than ride in this SUV.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

The worst Merc SUV. My suggestion is that they should recall this car overall and refund people. It's not even worth having this SUV on road.

My favorite vehicle in 35 years
By Denver commuter

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 ML350 in june '05 with 18,000 miles on it. I commute about 50 miles per day. I've taken it on about 6 long-distance road trips too. 107,000 miles as of March '10 It is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Poor MPG (avg. 17.5). Wears out tires every 25,000 mi. Best mechanical reliability I've ever had, despite chronic "clunking" tranny on downshift from day one. I spent $1500 and many dealer visits trying to get that fixed to no avail. Interior plastic skirts around front seats broke early on from pressure of sitting. Coating on all dark exterior metal rapidly deteriorated. I would buy another one if they still made them.

Favorite Features

CLASSIC good looks. The new ones are ugly. Great ride and power. Mechanical reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger interior plastics (seat skirts). Get rid of the clunking tranny problem. VERY expensive fix for minor front or rear collisions. Get real about the bumpers.

Great family car
By Crocker Highlands

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our ML with 42000 miles as a CPO vehicle nearly two years ago. Since then we've been to the dealership only twice for scheduled maintenance. The car is incredibly dependable, performs well on most surfaces, handles well, and hauls just about anything you can throw at it. We love it and would buy another in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

Trip-tronic transmission for low range torque. Power memory seating for driver and passenger, rain sensing wipers, fold down rear seats, and easy to use navigation

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy and ride... terribly bumpy on rough city streets and freeways

A "Champ"
By Jeff

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My '04 ML350 is my 4th ML; I was hit a 55 head on in my '99 and was uninjured. These are incredible vehicles, best safety available, great on/off road. Lacks come luxury features and mpg is horrible even w/v-6. Tight turning ratio, good seats; very heavy and capable. If you want a SUV that is very safe, handles well, comfortable, holds and tows lots of cargo, this is a great buy. The newer models are even better driving, but lack the turning ration and low range gear for extreme conditions. Drivers need to be aware of how heavy it is when braking and anticipating turns. The amount of steel and safety features are simply unavailable elsewhere. Eats tires and brakes, but stops very well.

Favorite Features

Balance of cargo/passenger capacity with great urban characteristics for parking, turning driver's position and safety. Airbags for all passengers. Grips the road in rain, snow, ice, gravel. V-6 with V-8 tourque and acceleration. Lots of convenience perks like dimming & folding mirrors, great trans.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more luxury features like controls on steering wheel, power lift gate & key-related features as on those Benz vehicles built in Germany. Most of those have been addressed in newer models.