2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Don't do it!
By dan_the_man1 on 05/25/14 07:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased a 2004 MB 350 with 32,000 miles on it, thinking we would have a high quality vehicle for many years. We were half right. The vehicle is now ten years old and we have had one problem after another. At 52,000 miles the water pump broke. MB would not stand behind it. Shortly thereafter, we discovered the power steering was leaking. The bearing in the front wheel drive needs to be replaced. Now a light module is defective, discharging the battery almost daily. It's been one problem after another. Buy a Lexus or Acura!

Do not buy this SUV
By Sheikh711 on 07/23/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Biggest mistake I did buying this SUV. It feels like I am driving a TANK - very very uncomfortable and feels like there is no grip on the road. I am always scared turning this car on hard corners. Do yourself a favor and look for some other car in this class or WALK rather than ride in this SUV.

2004 ML500
By TGI an '04 on 07/20/10 16:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

It's no secret the early MLs were plagued w/problems. By '04 Merc was trying to win back consumers and my ML was a great value. All the bells and whistles, no defects, price reflected poor reputation and turned out to be a solid performer! From formal outings to hauling kids, lumber, furniture and landscape rock - still looks good as new.

My favorite vehicle in 35 years
By Denver commuter on 03/07/10 16:29 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 ML350 in june '05 with 18,000 miles on it. I commute about 50 miles per day. I've taken it on about 6 long-distance road trips too. 107,000 miles as of March '10 It is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Poor MPG (avg. 17.5). Wears out tires every 25,000 mi. Best mechanical reliability I've ever had, despite chronic "clunking" tranny on downshift from day one. I spent $1500 and many dealer visits trying to get that fixed to no avail. Interior plastic skirts around front seats broke early on from pressure of sitting. Coating on all dark exterior metal rapidly deteriorated. I would buy another one if they still made them.

Love it!!!
By Aronky on 02/24/10 19:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Love this car...I'm 16 and this is my second Benz after wrecking the first one. It has tons of room, very nice leather that NEVER wears. Sound system was great. A few problems with ball bearings and engine mounts, but inexpensive to fix and caused because the previous owner was apparently abusive. Great acceleration and handles great. So good off-road, can go everywhere all my friends with lifted trucks can. Feels really solid and was built with great quality. I would recommend this car to anyone who has kids or needs room for stuff but still wants performance and comfort.

Great family car
By Crocker Highlands on 09/09/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our ML with 42000 miles as a CPO vehicle nearly two years ago. Since then we've been to the dealership only twice for scheduled maintenance. The car is incredibly dependable, performs well on most surfaces, handles well, and hauls just about anything you can throw at it. We love it and would buy another in a heart beat.

A "Champ"
By Jeff on 07/19/09 07:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My '04 ML350 is my 4th ML; I was hit a 55 head on in my '99 and was uninjured. These are incredible vehicles, best safety available, great on/off road. Lacks come luxury features and mpg is horrible even w/v-6. Tight turning ratio, good seats; very heavy and capable. If you want a SUV that is very safe, handles well, comfortable, holds and tows lots of cargo, this is a great buy. The newer models are even better driving, but lack the turning ration and low range gear for extreme conditions. Drivers need to be aware of how heavy it is when braking and anticipating turns. The amount of steel and safety features are simply unavailable elsewhere. Eats tires and brakes, but stops very well.

'04 ML500 is Amazing Value!
By SoCal on 10/15/07 19:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

After launching the world's most unreliable SUV in 2001 Mercedes took the ML took this project back and put significant improvements into each subsequent year. The 2004 is a solid truck with great towing, solid handling, great performance for its weight, and an outstanding daily driver. Unlike the X5, cargo space is tall and the cabin roomy. Bumper to bumper length of an Accord for easy parking and tight turning radius. Good in the snow, decent mountain climber and enjoys the twisties! Stay away from the 2001 but you'll benefit from the bad reputation in the following years and get exceptional value.

Stay Away!
By MBstinx on 04/03/07 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

You think I would have learned with the last one, (2000 ML430). But no. Same problems as before. Poor design, poor quality, endless trips to a dealer filled with people lying to you and insisting that all the problems are normal and at your expense in many cases. What a pile of junk. Last MB ever for me.

Can't Touch This Vehicle!
By BENZ LOVER on 03/17/07 10:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We recently purchased a Toyota Sienna Mini-van. With AWD and options that came standard on the Mercedes, the price was $3000 more than we paid for the ML350! We have not spent a cent on maintenance in 3+ years-all standard service covered plus warranty! Had a small problem with side window coating like other reviews I have read-replaced by dealer during regular maintenance visit-no problem. This car has the most stable, solid ride I can imagine for a truck. It's impossible to get this vehicle to sway, and the horsepower is great. You need a V-8 plus $15 grand to match the power in a BMW. To quiet Benz bashers in the media - this is a beautiful, well-built vehicle and an exceptional value!