Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Pushing 160000 miles
By dancemom23

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoy driving this car. It has a lot of power and gets around in the snow and ice really well. We bought this for our daughter 3 years ago, and we've had to replace a water pump, and the brakes, and the tires, of course...but it's dependable and zippy. Does require premium gas. It's a good little car.

Handling, power, zip, price (cause it's paid for!) **safety**, this thing has airbags all around

None really, it's an 11 year old car

Don't do it!
By dan_the_man1

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased a 2004 MB 350 with 32,000 miles on it, thinking we would have a high quality vehicle for many years. We were half right. The vehicle is now ten years old and we have had one problem after another. At 52,000 miles the water pump broke. MB would not stand behind it. Shortly thereafter, we discovered the power steering was leaking. The bearing in the front wheel drive needs to be replaced. Now a light module is defective, discharging the battery almost daily. It's been one problem after another. Buy a Lexus or Acura!

Do not buy this SUV
By Sheikh711

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Biggest mistake I did buying this SUV. It feels like I am driving a TANK - very very uncomfortable and feels like there is no grip on the road. I am always scared turning this car on hard corners. Do yourself a favor and look for some other car in this class or WALK rather than ride in this SUV.

NONE

The worst Merc SUV. My suggestion is that they should recall this car overall and refund people. It's not even worth having this SUV on road.

2004 ML500
By TGI an '04

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

It's no secret the early MLs were plagued w/problems. By '04 Merc was trying to win back consumers and my ML was a great value. All the bells and whistles, no defects, price reflected poor reputation and turned out to be a solid performer! From formal outings to hauling kids, lumber, furniture and landscape rock - still looks good as new.

Love the versatility, shocking performance for an SUV and at the length of a Honda Accord parallel parking is a breeze! Also appreciated the high, square cargo area and the fact that the rear wiper engages when I put the car in reverse when front wipers are on.

Better gas mileage and perhaps a little more girth would allow for an adult in the back with two child seats.

My favorite vehicle in 35 years
By Denver commuter

2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '04 ML350 in june '05 with 18,000 miles on it. I commute about 50 miles per day. I've taken it on about 6 long-distance road trips too. 107,000 miles as of March '10 It is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Poor MPG (avg. 17.5). Wears out tires every 25,000 mi. Best mechanical reliability I've ever had, despite chronic "clunking" tranny on downshift from day one. I spent $1500 and many dealer visits trying to get that fixed to no avail. Interior plastic skirts around front seats broke early on from pressure of sitting. Coating on all dark exterior metal rapidly deteriorated. I would buy another one if they still made them.

CLASSIC good looks. The new ones are ugly. Great ride and power. Mechanical reliability.

Stronger interior plastics (seat skirts). Get rid of the clunking tranny problem. VERY expensive fix for minor front or rear collisions. Get real about the bumpers.