Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

ML500 I love this car
By fbon

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I got my ML500 2 months ago (silver w/ Java interior) and the car is a blast. Best of all the punch of the 288hsp V8 will put a big grin on your face. Coming from a BMW 328, I can honestly say this SUV is truly a sporty utilitarian. Interior is splendid as far as confort. Some design improvement possible. Overall Mercedes Benz did a big effort in 2002 to correct/update most of the shortcomings of earlier versions just as soccer moms were rushing to the the X5s and Accura SUVs. This vehicle is hot!! again believe me. I already saw several black ML500 with Inspiration Edition and their big chrome grill in lots of cool places in NYC. No reliability issue to report so far.

Favorite Features

Big bad V8. Luxurious interior. Bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

Hello, steering wheel audio control anyone!!!

ML350 Disappointment
By Alex Spielhagen

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My new ML 350 now has 1000 miles on the clock. 600 of those miles came from traveling to the dealer to have the " check engine" trouble light checked out. Apparently fuel management system and the emissions control system contains unreliable components.Presently I am waiting for new parts.A factory recall for exchange of power steering hose clamps was installed also. I very much looked forward to driving a Mercedes again. I owned a 230 for 15 years and a 280E for 3 years. They were great cars. Pity that the marque has fallen so much.I am afraid that I will not have any confidence that I can take this truck on a long distance trip.Bloody shame..

Favorite Features

Low gear. All wheel drive. Handling in tight spaces. Stereo. Seats are very good,one needs to get used to the built in lumbar support.

Suggested Improvements

change cruise control to on wheel controls, ditto stereo controls.Change the air circulation control light from red to green to indicate that outside air is indeed cut off and air is being recirculated in the truck.

Consumer
By Merc

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Not up to par on features vis-a-vis competitors in same price range. Significantly improved quality since intro in '98 Already see condensation in left headlight assembly. Will have to get replaced. Not something I would expect in a $50,000 vehicle. Had I not gotten a terrific deal. I would have gone to competition but they are all selling at MSRP or above. (Volvo, Toureg, Cadillac, Lexus) Ridiculous.

Favorite Features

Seats. Leg room

Suggested Improvements

Radio, fuel consumption, Cargo flaps, update nav.,rear bumper steps, cup holders, rear seat folding procedure (much too difficult). Auto rear hatch-- Too heavy.

A Pair of Winners
By derleute

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had 2 ML320s, a leased 1999 and a purchased 2002. In 4 combined years of ownership I/ve had absolutely no problems nor any need for warranty work with either one. They keep getting better by including more standard features every year. The emergency notification system and navigation systems are terrific and Bose sound spectacular. My only minor gripe ist the 6 CD changer belongs in the dash, not in the cargo walls. Thumbs up for American craftsmanship.

Favorite Features

One touch automatic up and down on all windows. Large comfortable seats and generous legroom all around. The handling for such a heavy car is very good and the ride is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Needs premium fuel. Provide an in-dash DVD/CD changer.

Chrysler quality- M Benz price
By Rocky Mtn Madness

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV has been very disappointing.The quality control is lacking. Numerous shop visits without satisfaction and a dealer who cannot get it right. I will never buy a MB product again.

Favorite Features

Looks like a jelly bean. Terrible fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Give me my money back!!!!!I will buy my lemons at the grocery store.