2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Can you believe
By Joey Martin on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this ML 500 for 6 yrs and it has a total of 174,000 mi. It has been bullet proof! Yes it's hard on brakes, every 22k mi. Tires depending on brand 30-35K. Mechanically, the only major issue? I just had the dealer install a new power steering pump at 171,000 mi. Wow! Great SUV, the best MB I have ever owned. Why get a new one?

164K miles runs like new
By Joey on 07/25/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have maintained this ML 500 at the dealership since purchase. WOW, the only issue has been brake jobs every 25K miles, a new battery at 100K and of curse oil changes 5k. I take care of it and it has NEVER let me down. My favorite car/SUV ever! maybe, I am lucky but this ML 500 has been bullet proof.

I hate my ML500
By Mars on 07/20/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased two Mercedes because they built their name on quality, what a "joke". We own the ML500 & 350. The 500 was poorly built, a lot of repairs In less than one year, I have spent over $2,000.00 in repairs. Even the clear coat is peeling, both my Mercedes have this problem. I will never purchase another Mercedes, in fact I am trading both vehicles in this weekend for Lexus. Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves.

Going Strong
By Joey Martin on 12/01/09 22:43 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Just turned 140K miles. Only oil changes, tires and brakes. No problems, amazing..

ML 500 Inspiration Edition
By Dan Steinborn on 01/04/09 07:49 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this SUV new (it is our first, and only, SUV). It has always been very reliable and has provided us with the hauling capacity we needed (moving household goods and garden supplies). It has been comfortable on trips and for in city driving. Fuel economy is not this model's forte--it's a heavy vehicle with a large engine. Even though we are light footed, our in city fuel economy has always been between 12 and 13 MPG.

A Great SUV
By Jose Martinez on 09/24/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this ML 500 CPO with 22,000 miles. It has performed flawlessly except for a xenon lamp (under warranty) and a faulty heated seat controller (under warranty). It performs well off road and is very comfortable on long trips. I have the Inspiration package and love the fit and finish. I would buy another.

It's an acquired taste
By MB&Caddy on 03/05/08 11:51 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned my ML500 for 5 months now. Coming from my 01 Seville STS, was a change of course. Overall I think the vehicle hits the mark. Not perfect, but what vehicle is. Gas mileage is decent, but this is my 2nd V8 in 5 yrs so I'm used to the gas guzzling. Off the line snap is good enough to put you back in your seat. First trip was to Gatlinburg, TN and the MB was nothing but solid. Had to dial down the cruise in the mountains, it kept accelerating. Solid, comfortable, great view in traffic and a huge sunroof. Slips in and out of traffic and parking is a breeze, waiting for first real experience w/ bad weather. This thing shrugs off rain and wind like it's nothing.

Outstanding ML500
By Patrick on 10/03/07 12:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

By far the very best SUV I have ever owned. After over 70,000 miles it still runs like a dream. No mechanical or electrical problems. A definite keeper!

2003 ML 500
By disappointed on 04/09/07 14:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Very comfortable seats. Very good gas mileage for engine and type of vehicle. 15 in town; 19-21 on road. Very good handling and drivability. Ride slightly harsh. Excellent turning circle. Poor brake wear. New rotors and pads every 18-22 M miles at a ludicrous cost. Front shocks needed replacement at 47,000 miles. Thank goodness car is still under warranty. Dealer cost to replace $850. Power steering hose clamp blew at 40,000 miles. BAS went at 42,000. Reliability poor for a premium brand.

Drives itself
By gary petas on 11/11/06 06:25 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome vehicle. Has everything you need including built in radar detector helps with that eight. The ML500 is in a class all by itself. Smooth cornering. Step on the accelerator and this vehicle flies all on its own. I have yet to have a problem with this vehicle. This vehicle is great in the snow, not a problem especially with bliz tires or the Dunlop sp5000 which is a tire that has been on the market for about eight years. Only exception 20,000 mile tire. Sound system rocks. Definite head turner.