2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition 225k miles and still going strong
By sbushue on 06/02/11 15:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Family bought this SUV used back in 2005 and since then put on 175k miles on it. Been extremely reliable. Of course there is the maintenance. However, it is expected with any vehicle. This has now became my vehicle (3rd owner), and am confident it will get to well over 300k. Has handled well on the road, especially on the curves and in the winter time as well.

Can you believe
By Joey Martin on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this ML 500 for 6 yrs and it has a total of 174,000 mi. It has been bullet proof! Yes it's hard on brakes, every 22k mi. Tires depending on brand 30-35K. Mechanically, the only major issue? I just had the dealer install a new power steering pump at 171,000 mi. Wow! Great SUV, the best MB I have ever owned. Why get a new one?

164K miles runs like new
By Joey on 07/25/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have maintained this ML 500 at the dealership since purchase. WOW, the only issue has been brake jobs every 25K miles, a new battery at 100K and of curse oil changes 5k. I take care of it and it has NEVER let me down. My favorite car/SUV ever! maybe, I am lucky but this ML 500 has been bullet proof.

I hate my ML500
By Mars on 07/20/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased two Mercedes because they built their name on quality, what a "joke". We own the ML500 & 350. The 500 was poorly built, a lot of repairs In less than one year, I have spent over $2,000.00 in repairs. Even the clear coat is peeling, both my Mercedes have this problem. I will never purchase another Mercedes, in fact I am trading both vehicles in this weekend for Lexus. Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves.

No Complaints
By Zach on 07/08/10 08:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Was my grandparents SUV but is now mine. Never any major problems for either of us. Great midsized SUV. Takes bad weather like a champ. Reliability is as you would expect for a MB. Some of the exterior factory colors don't look great. Go with black if it's an option. My only complaint with the car would be the fuel efficiency.

Not for the long haul....costly repairs
By BenzOwner516 on 02/23/10 05:11 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2003 and currently have 125,000 miles on it. This car has been a NIGHTMARE. The suspension has major issues, my total cost for suspension, control arm and various related issues is well over $7,000. The catylytic converters went at 90k miles,$2,300. Transmission control module, power steering column and pump, calipers froze, transmission mounts, motor mounts, heated seat caught on fire.....the problems are too numerous to name. Overall I've spent at least $20,000 on repairs. All the mechanics I've spoken to advise getting rid of this car after 5 years. It is definitely not built for the long haul. First and last Mercedes.

Going Strong
By Joey Martin on 12/01/09 22:43 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Just turned 140K miles. Only oil changes, tires and brakes. No problems, amazing..

Ml 350 ???
By R2r on 08/06/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Suv new. after 4 years with 25000 miles i replaced front and rear brake pads and rotor and 4 tires.After 6 yrs with 35000 miles need a pair of ball joints and door assembly.

ML 500 Inspiration Edition
By Dan Steinborn on 01/04/09 07:49 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this SUV new (it is our first, and only, SUV). It has always been very reliable and has provided us with the hauling capacity we needed (moving household goods and garden supplies). It has been comfortable on trips and for in city driving. Fuel economy is not this model's forte--it's a heavy vehicle with a large engine. Even though we are light footed, our in city fuel economy has always been between 12 and 13 MPG.

A Great SUV
By Jose Martinez on 09/24/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this ML 500 CPO with 22,000 miles. It has performed flawlessly except for a xenon lamp (under warranty) and a faulty heated seat controller (under warranty). It performs well off road and is very comfortable on long trips. I have the Inspiration package and love the fit and finish. I would buy another.