2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Review: Does the trick!!

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Review

ML500 4dr SUV (5.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Does the trick!!
By richie353 on

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a new 2001 ML 320 and kept it for a year and spent the greater part of that year camped at the dealer with the myriad of problems. Things like I could not go more than 2 weeks w/o a headlight bulb on either side blowing or strange sounds coming from the undercarriage or leaks each time it rained, etc. My first MB had been a 1961 220S and was a fantastic vehicle so I knew what a MB was supposed to be! I became very vocal whenever I had to be there for another issue with the 2001 and either the dealer was going to give in or MB itself. I was finally offered a 2002 ML500 which had over 5000 changes made and 200,000 great miles have passed. No major problems, just normal things.

Favorite Features

AWD, traction control, stability control, outstanding brakes, as much power as ever needed and then some! Driven in some nasty snow storms and it handles like summer time.

Suggested Improvements

Anything I might mention now that the car is 10 years old would be redundant but the worst would be the terrible Xenon lights which require replacing every 3 years at $400. per pair! The biggest problems MB ever had in this vehicle was assembly in Georgia. The complete powertrain shipped from Germany (bulletproof), all the problems came through assembly. All that seems to be under contol now, though.