Very safe & Solid SUV
By pkvoss on
2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)
This is a very safe and solid SUV, while it may lack some bells and whistles; it has all that it needs to be a solid SUV. I’ve owned 4 of these, 1998 ML 320 2000 ML 320, 2001 ML 430, and 2002 ML 500. It was my wife’s vehicle, I bought this for her to keep her safe, and when a new safety feature was released I traded in the previous one for a new one (stability control, curtain airbags…) I lost her to cancer at 31 years old. So now I keep her ML500 in the garage all waxed and clean. Some people complain about that the tires and or brakes wear out around 20k miles, I’ve experienced this too, but keep in mind that this SUV is almost 5,000 pounds, twice as heavy as an average sedan.
Favorite Features
There are now better tire compounds available and some have a 60k or 65k mile wear out guarantee, I would recommend that tire (Continental CrossContact LX or Michelin Latitude Tour from tirerack.com or another online tire website.) Don't forget to have the auto trans serviced. Mobil 1 ATF is good.
Suggested Improvements
I really like: Bi-Xenon headlights, rain-sensing wipers, (even the rear wiper activates if the wipers are on and reverse gear is engaged, wow), high and low range transmission.