Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

2002 ML 500 after 2 years of ownership
By TGH

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in Nov 2001, my ML500 was one of the first in the Houston area. I considered the ML55 AMG for the extra zip, but the '55 has a huge, glaring disadvantage: cargo space. The ML500 has plenty of zip, plenty of cargo room. The Sport Package also gives the ML a more agressive, sporty look. This is a magnificent machine, 26 months after delivery, the rest of the Lux-SUV pack hasn't caught up. I promise you folks, there is NOTHING else on the market in 2004 that has the performance AND high tech gadgetry of this 2002 model.

Favorite Features

Creature comfort is world class and the performance is thrilling. Also cool:the voice activated stuff, incl the MBphone (except the $1700 price), the GPS, and MB tele-aid which allows me to download news, traffic on my personal commute, plus my personalized stock market picks.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is a little rough. For my $60K, I want the sport suspension when I'm rippin' AND a soft ride when I'm cruisin'. Also MB customer service lags far behind all of the luxury car segment. I want an in-car phone apparatus that works with ANY kind of cool portable handset.

Big Hassle
By lousy

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

When our ML 320 works, it drives great. The problem is we have had about eighteen separate malfunctions in a little over two years. The power seats continually come unplugged and don't work; the CD changer is not reliable; the window washer container cracked; the rear view mirror fell off while driving. I would never purchase a car like this. It is terrible.

Superb, Enjoy every minute driven
By M. Hashem

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My 3rd ML after a 98, 2000. This is it! All bugs fixed, hardly goes to the dealer for any problems. Best part is the free Service for the warranty period. If people buying a cheaper fors or GM would add the service cost they would find it cheaper to own an ML and safer too. Advice; Don't miss the convenience option, I love the lights under the rearview mirror, and the folding outside mirrors

Favorite Features

Enjoy DVD Navigation immensely. I love the power of this car and the stability. Sound system is top notch, and noise is reduced to a minimum.

Suggested Improvements

Height adjusted ride, to increase the ground clearance when needed. Generic compatible phonec so one does not lock to a lousy phone for thousands $. Should follow MBZ Europe of having interface modules that allow the phone to be changed,without changing the MCS.

Much better than a minivan.
By BCWatty

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Needed all wheel drive and 3rd row of seats. The small turning circle diameter is great. This was the best handling and most nimble suv we drove. The interier hardware is fragile and we have replaced rear cupholders/vents 5 times (all under warranty). The moonroof had broken twice and the power steering feels underboosted when making sharp u-turns. The accelerator pedal is s-l-o-w to inputs. Our dealership does not have enough loaner cars. Our local BMW dealership is much more responsive but X-5 does not have 3rd row of seats. We tow a boat with this and it works much better than our Tundra pickup truck for towing.

Favorite Features

Turning radius, relatively small size, features like a swiss army knife.

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai-like interior hardware needs to be redesigned. Too many CHEAP PLASTIC parts! The drivetrain is bulletproof, though.

THE SUV
By Darkmann

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The ML has a lot of minor annoying build quality problems and this distracts from the capability of the truck. A good dealership makes the difference between frustration and having an excellent ownership experience. Now, the ML is a great deal in the market. The drive is great and it's offroad prowess is really second to none, not even the Cayenne can keep up!! The ML500 is the choice and the best SUV deal anywhere, period.

Favorite Features

That darn adaptive tranny is probably the best feature for me. then again, there are so many little thoughtful things that go into the ML, I can't list them all. If only the build quality was better!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Build it right, give the base model more power, steering wheel controls a must, gat a tailgate window that opens/closes, and there's more.