Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

I Love It More...
By JJC San Diego

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

My 89LC was mint & incredible off- road, but was severely underpowered, handled like a ship, fatiguing, had no safety features, and got 10mpg, but I still loved it for what it was when I sold it after 9yrs. The ML55AMG's engine has an exceptional powerband, a fantastic interior, handles like a sports sedan, is extremely comfortable, has all the gadgets, can consistently get 15MPG (combined) if I don't "floor it" constantly, 18MPG on long trips, and is incredible fun. The cup holders are too flimsy, its has limited cargo space, and it has too much wind noise, but short of the Kawa ZX11 and 69 BMW 2002 I once owned, I've never loved a vehicle nearly as much

Favorite Features

Wicked engine, instruments, seats, steering wheel, safety, AWD, fat tires, dual exhaust, that AMG, hand built by one person in Germany ENGINE, it makes me smile everytime I turn the key, and smirk every time an unsuspecting driver futiley attempts to act like a jerm and power play me..

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the wind noise, build the rest of it in Germany, deliver it with nicer wheels; I just bought HREs for it

maintenance nightmare
By Where's the Quality

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our ML320 has been in the shop 20 different times. The last time was to replace the rings. It was burning 2 quarts of oil in under 2000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Give me the Mercedes Quality I was expecting.

ML500
By dano

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Terrific SUV that has shown zero quality issues other than the brakes squealing in cold weather.

Favorite Features

Engine

Suggested Improvements

Steroe controls on steering wheel are needed.

More UTE than SPORT
By Steven Kirschner

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is our first Mercedes, but not our first SUV (we have had Jeeps in the past). We stepped up for lots of reasons - Safety, performance and Status (this car is used in a sales environment). The ML500 is simply an amazing vehicle. It is comfortable and FAST. I would prefer a smoother ride with less jostling over the bumps in the road, but the trade-off for that kind of safety seems well worth it. The ML500 has had its share of little picky issues - namely a touchy fuel gauge and mirrors that do not adjust with the memory seats. Again, small potatos for that kind of peformance. It feels like a car that will last forever!

Favorite Features

ENGINE. SEATS. SAFETY. I cannot tell you how amazing that 5l engine responds to our inputs.

Suggested Improvements

Better ride over the bumps. A larger storage area.

2002 ML 500 after 2 years of ownership
By TGH

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in Nov 2001, my ML500 was one of the first in the Houston area. I considered the ML55 AMG for the extra zip, but the '55 has a huge, glaring disadvantage: cargo space. The ML500 has plenty of zip, plenty of cargo room. The Sport Package also gives the ML a more agressive, sporty look. This is a magnificent machine, 26 months after delivery, the rest of the Lux-SUV pack hasn't caught up. I promise you folks, there is NOTHING else on the market in 2004 that has the performance AND high tech gadgetry of this 2002 model.

Favorite Features

Creature comfort is world class and the performance is thrilling. Also cool:the voice activated stuff, incl the MBphone (except the $1700 price), the GPS, and MB tele-aid which allows me to download news, traffic on my personal commute, plus my personalized stock market picks.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is a little rough. For my $60K, I want the sport suspension when I'm rippin' AND a soft ride when I'm cruisin'. Also MB customer service lags far behind all of the luxury car segment. I want an in-car phone apparatus that works with ANY kind of cool portable handset.