Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

ML320
By rsa0

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great german engineering. Some minor details had failed during time (navigation unit) but were promptly replaced by the dealer. Overall experience is great, and I am now a returning buyer for ML. MPG is not the greatest, but hey, is an AWD! Excellent ABS and stability control that not many SUV's have. With the exception of the GPS unit, I had nothing to fix or repair on this car since 2001.

Favorite Features

Greatnavigation - excelent stability on wet roads - ABS is fantastic

Suggested Improvements

Details and finishing on minor parts - sound system may be better

ML500 - Excellent buy
By Alistair Corbett

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 25,000 km. Great deal, had depreciated a lot and bought it through a broker - Royalty Auto for $42k CDN. Great experience. Had it for 6 months now. Needed winter tires (we're in Calgary) and it handles well in the snow. No maintenance issues so far. I am not using a dealer for the maintenance, prices much better. We have 2 large dogs and a new house and have hauled lots of stuff with no problems. The versatility of the rear seats is excellent. The 5litre engine has plenty of power and a good roar, but gas use isn't as terrible as I'd expected. Had it inspected by 3rd party before I bought. Brakes squeak when cold

Favorite Features

Power in engine. Versatile rear seats, BOSE, cargo area. Spacious without being huge - very easy to park, very manuverable.

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholders (they don't hold the cups! - they're too shallow!), revised rear styling, manual transmission option, more powerful seat warmers

Pretty Good - I Guess
By MG

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has been in the shop a number of times for things breaking (and I have less than 20K on it). Thank goodness it's still under warranty. First Mercedes so I thought the quality of the interior was good, but now on comparison I feel it is fair. Service has been excellent but it really shouldn't have needed so much service already.

Favorite Features

Weather band on radio, bose audio system, safe, secure seating position.

Suggested Improvements

Please put a compass, and fuel indicators (tripometer?) on the area above the rear view mirror. All the other Mercedes models have it. Even my Jeep Cherokee had it. Controls for radio, etc. on steering wheel need to be added!

Love the SUV - Hate the minor repairs
By Gatortomk

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been perfect for us in terms of design, comfort, features, durability, etc. Our gas mileage has been better than expected at 18.6 city and up to 23+ highway (I confess to having a heavy foot so it's often only 22). Brakeware has been super too; 45,000mi front and rears are still OK at 72,000mi. But, had to replace fuel pump, windshield washer checkvalve, "baby safe" seat sensor, and an instrument panel bulb. Nothing major, but even with good service (and free loaner cars) it's been a hassle some time.

Favorite Features

Audio system (Bose & MCS), flexible service computer (14,000mi between oil changes), SAFETY, size, load capacity, view of the road, comfort, power folding mirrors, handling, and service by the dealer

Suggested Improvements

6yr 100,000 service/warranty, adjustable rear seat backs, more technical data/repair data on the web, and easier bulb replacement for the owner.

2 nd year review
By no name

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Has been in the shop for mulitple malfunctions all addressed by dealership on SEVERAL visits and Park Place's Road Side Repair service. Brake pads stink!! I am at 27,500 and told the brake pads have 10% left? Set number 3. 2nd set at 12,500 miles. Told by dealership it is due to AWD and common with their brake pads? This is my first Mercedes. Never had an issue with Japanese and US autos with AWD. To spend 50K+ on an auto and having to replace ONLY REAR pads for $311.00? That is crap!! Designers, take notice of the issues to keep Mercedes image and return buyer.

Favorite Features

Interior package.

Suggested Improvements

UPGRADE THE BRAKE PADS!!Competitors of luxury model SUV's don't have this issue. Although it has quirks, I have enjoyed it. Questionable that I will purchase another Mercedes due to my experience of continued high maintenance required to remain flawless. Manufacturer PLEASE listen