2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
I Love It More...
By JJC San Diego on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

My 89LC was mint & incredible off- road, but was severely underpowered, handled like a ship, fatiguing, had no safety features, and got 10mpg, but I still loved it for what it was when I sold it after 9yrs. The ML55AMG's engine has an exceptional powerband, a fantastic interior, handles like a sports sedan, is extremely comfortable, has all the gadgets, can consistently get 15MPG (combined) if I don't "floor it" constantly, 18MPG on long trips, and is incredible fun. The cup holders are too flimsy, its has limited cargo space, and it has too much wind noise, but short of the Kawa ZX11 and 69 BMW 2002 I once owned, I've never loved a vehicle nearly as much

maintenance nightmare
By Where's the Quality on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our ML320 has been in the shop 20 different times. The last time was to replace the rings. It was burning 2 quarts of oil in under 2000 miles.

ML500
By dano on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Terrific SUV that has shown zero quality issues other than the brakes squealing in cold weather.

More UTE than SPORT
By Steven Kirschner on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is our first Mercedes, but not our first SUV (we have had Jeeps in the past). We stepped up for lots of reasons - Safety, performance and Status (this car is used in a sales environment). The ML500 is simply an amazing vehicle. It is comfortable and FAST. I would prefer a smoother ride with less jostling over the bumps in the road, but the trade-off for that kind of safety seems well worth it. The ML500 has had its share of little picky issues - namely a touchy fuel gauge and mirrors that do not adjust with the memory seats. Again, small potatos for that kind of peformance. It feels like a car that will last forever!

2002 ML 500 after 2 years of ownership
By TGH on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in Nov 2001, my ML500 was one of the first in the Houston area. I considered the ML55 AMG for the extra zip, but the '55 has a huge, glaring disadvantage: cargo space. The ML500 has plenty of zip, plenty of cargo room. The Sport Package also gives the ML a more agressive, sporty look. This is a magnificent machine, 26 months after delivery, the rest of the Lux-SUV pack hasn't caught up. I promise you folks, there is NOTHING else on the market in 2004 that has the performance AND high tech gadgetry of this 2002 model.

Big Hassle
By lousy on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

When our ML 320 works, it drives great. The problem is we have had about eighteen separate malfunctions in a little over two years. The power seats continually come unplugged and don't work; the CD changer is not reliable; the window washer container cracked; the rear view mirror fell off while driving. I would never purchase a car like this. It is terrible.

Think Twice Before Buying a BENZ!!
By bekri on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The truck was billed as Top of the Line with Mercedes Quality-While the engine performed well it was a PIG on as consumption!! The brakes went out after 11000 miles-unheard of for an American car let all the "top line" Mercedes truck- Also a number of minor problems such as a cracked storage bottle for washer fluid easy to break cup holders. Moreover, the service stinks-Mercedes was unwilling to assume any responsibilty for the brakes and wrote a letter saying in essence I was lucky to be driving a Mercedes. An underwhelming experience - Never again will I buy a Mercedes!!!!

Superb, Enjoy every minute driven
By M. Hashem on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My 3rd ML after a 98, 2000. This is it! All bugs fixed, hardly goes to the dealer for any problems. Best part is the free Service for the warranty period. If people buying a cheaper fors or GM would add the service cost they would find it cheaper to own an ML and safer too. Advice; Don't miss the convenience option, I love the lights under the rearview mirror, and the folding outside mirrors

Much better than a minivan.
By BCWatty on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Needed all wheel drive and 3rd row of seats. The small turning circle diameter is great. This was the best handling and most nimble suv we drove. The interier hardware is fragile and we have replaced rear cupholders/vents 5 times (all under warranty). The moonroof had broken twice and the power steering feels underboosted when making sharp u-turns. The accelerator pedal is s-l-o-w to inputs. Our dealership does not have enough loaner cars. Our local BMW dealership is much more responsive but X-5 does not have 3rd row of seats. We tow a boat with this and it works much better than our Tundra pickup truck for towing.

THE SUV
By Darkmann on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The ML has a lot of minor annoying build quality problems and this distracts from the capability of the truck. A good dealership makes the difference between frustration and having an excellent ownership experience. Now, the ML is a great deal in the market. The drive is great and it's offroad prowess is really second to none, not even the Cayenne can keep up!! The ML500 is the choice and the best SUV deal anywhere, period.