Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Piece of Junk
By disappointedguy

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it from my sister with very low mileage and extremely well maintained. Now I refer to this poorly built SUV as a "Piece of Junk!" It is plauged with problems. I have had interior parts falling off and breaking, sun roof deflectors broke and looking at the cheap plastic used in the build really disappointed me. Then the brake fluid drum breaks. Makes funny noises when driving and recently jerks badly when stopping at a light. Now a paint sealant or something seems to be peeling off at the back and dealer wants $500 a pop since I have run out of warranty! If anybody is intrested in filing a law suit, please count me in!

None.

Heard the new models are better but not sure how true that is!

Awesome Dream Truck!
By 1cna1

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoy owning this truck. After all of the reaserch I have done on it, I finally found the one that suited my needs.

I love the 3rd row seats, heated w/ memory front seats, the sunroof, and express open feature on all the windows.

The Navigation should have been standard. The screen looks ridiculously unnecessary when the navigation feature is not installed.

The little truck that could!
By MBOwner

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this for normal everyday driving. Found it to be reliable and capable. Great engine and transmission. The box on frame design is a bit too rough, but the feel of durability is amazing. It has more umph than my old GMC. The tire wear was on the high side as was the brake wear. Stopping a 5000 truck takes a lot of brake lining. Excellent visability, nice looking, easy to maintain. Avg about 20mpg. Clean and efficient. Handles people, things and long drives like a pro.

OK, the engine is amazing. More HP than necessary. Great power and torque. Easy to start and goes like crazy through deep snow. Bose radio is wonderful. Comfortable seats.

Smoother ride, adjustable steering wheel telescoping would help a lot. Better overall service. Electronics were week.

So far...So good
By Jimbob

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not really that powerful, but economical, despite the premium fuel demand. Avg mpg 17/21. No cost maintenence (warranty). No cost repair (even light bulbs and wiper blades). Ride could be softer. Seats could use lumbar. The heater will roast you and the AC will keep you cool. Sun roof, power rear wing windows...Why? I replaced the brake pads at 20K for ceramic, no wear. If the car is parked for 3 days, the security system drains the battery dies. Video system...Why? Would I buy another? No...initial cost, but then, the 2006 model has been very nicely upgraded!!! ;-)

4yr/50,000 warranty. It's cute.

None...they upgraded the model for 2006.

A truly reliable fast Chariot
By Emile

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I read some reviews about the ML55 stating that it drank too much gas and that there were little issues here and there. Initially I was hesitant but instinctively, I wanted to drive it to believe. My wife and I absolutely love the car. It is quick, reliable, sturdy, and a pleasure to drive, especially on the highway. It does not drink that much gas, only to the heavy footed driver. In fact, because of its weight, on the highway, once you build a speed and hold it, the car just cruises sipping on gas. The music is great and the stopping is excellent. No brake problems. We like it and its amazingly safe for the family.

They should have put radio controls on the steering wheel.