2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Does the trick!!
By richie353 on 04/10/12 21:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a new 2001 ML 320 and kept it for a year and spent the greater part of that year camped at the dealer with the myriad of problems. Things like I could not go more than 2 weeks w/o a headlight bulb on either side blowing or strange sounds coming from the undercarriage or leaks each time it rained, etc. My first MB had been a 1961 220S and was a fantastic vehicle so I knew what a MB was supposed to be! I became very vocal whenever I had to be there for another issue with the 2001 and either the dealer was going to give in or MB itself. I was finally offered a 2002 ML500 which had over 5000 changes made and 200,000 great miles have passed. No major problems, just normal things.

2002 ML 500 - great to drive awful to maintain
By jleneveu on 03/16/12 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Safety, performance (fun to drive), all weather drving capability - wonderful vehicle. Maintenance costs on the other hand are unacceptable for a vehicle of the this class. Problems, you bet - 4 rear main engine seals in 96,000 miles at $1,300 per repair, front lower ball joints at 25,000 miles, engine oil leaks, interior plastic trim pieces breaking, $775 for brakes every 22,000-25,000 miles, three door panels repainted - rust problems, $1100 to repair ventilation system, and many more.

Not the best choice for a used SUV
By ml500owner on 12/14/11 05:49 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since new. It now has 110,000 miles and is still like new since almost every part has been replaced or repaired at least once. I have found the car is easy to work on and most parts are available on line or at local auto parts stores. There are also great web forums to help diagnose problems and instructions for repairs. There have been so many problems I could not begin to list them all, but one positive thing I can say it has never left me stranded. I would only recommend buying this car if you have the ability to do most of the repairs and maintenance yourself, otherwise this car is just a money pit that is best avoided

Very safe & Solid SUV
By pkvoss on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a very safe and solid SUV, while it may lack some bells and whistles; it has all that it needs to be a solid SUV. I’ve owned 4 of these, 1998 ML 320 2000 ML 320, 2001 ML 430, and 2002 ML 500. It was my wife’s vehicle, I bought this for her to keep her safe, and when a new safety feature was released I traded in the previous one for a new one (stability control, curtain airbags…) I lost her to cancer at 31 years old. So now I keep her ML500 in the garage all waxed and clean. Some people complain about that the tires and or brakes wear out around 20k miles, I’ve experienced this too, but keep in mind that this SUV is almost 5,000 pounds, twice as heavy as an average sedan.

My 02 ML500
By SW on 09/15/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My ML500 has been a great car. Overall quality is very good. I currently have just over 90000 miles. Only problems have been radio vol going up and down w/o cause. Fixed by MB of Albq. NM after about 5 visits. I have always been treated with exceptional care by MB of Albq. Also tranny went out at about 70K miles. Fully covered by MB starmark warranty. I do tow a fair amount about 2K pounds (motorcyles). Vehicle always tows well and is always fun to drive. I have taken on pretty rough 4x4 trips with no problems and not new rattles. I always appreciate my ML after driving other vehicles that are not MB. Fuel economy is not good but I get about 13 in town and 16- 17 hwy w/o trailer. Lots of pwr

Tiger Tank
By Shovelhead on 07/10/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our 02 as a CPO ML. It was just turned in on a lease with 23k on it. Wanted safety. The engine is performs very well. Smooth, fast and reliable. Performs from 0-60 with no flat spot. The ride is good for an SUV. We had ae minor axle and trans seal leak repaired. The ML's traction and stability control work excellent. Drive in icy conditions can't even tell the road surface is slick until we get out to walk. It corners well and stops well. Solid, safe, built like Tiger tank. Neighbor works in ER level 3. Lexus LX470 (large SUV) crossed center line on interstate. Hit ML on front and side. ML occupants good shape, Lexus driver died. Worth every penny in safety and broken bones

The little truck that could!
By MBOwner on 04/05/06 17:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this for normal everyday driving. Found it to be reliable and capable. Great engine and transmission. The box on frame design is a bit too rough, but the feel of durability is amazing. It has more umph than my old GMC. The tire wear was on the high side as was the brake wear. Stopping a 5000 truck takes a lot of brake lining. Excellent visability, nice looking, easy to maintain. Avg about 20mpg. Clean and efficient. Handles people, things and long drives like a pro.

Resting on their laurels
By duped on 09/18/05 15:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Four years with this car and I'm very relieved to be done. I know the service people like family. In and out of service>4- 6/yrX4yrs. Rack and pinion replaced 2Xin four years! $900 break jobs are a semiannual event. Plastic parts keep breaking (seat moldings,cup holders glove compart) Frequent lighting electrical problems, Fan, Mirror motors fixed. Rode great when bought, very bumpy after 4mos. A lemon. Maybe new model better. In the shop as I speak. Rely on Benz Quality?nevermore

Much improved over 2000 year
By Rob Schlein on 09/09/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Had an ML in 1999 and 2000. 1999 was noisy, and 2000 had many electrical problems. However, I needed the space so I tried the 2002 after I heard it was much more reliable. It has been! Great car.

Love my ML500
By jrayer on 08/19/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second V8 ML; I had a 1999 ML430 and this one is considerably improved. The 430 had many quality issues but this one has been solid as a rock. I opted for the Sport package and this V8 haulsthe mail! The handling is quite amazing for a vehicle of this size. The driving position is great; you sit just high enough to get a good view of the traffic ahead. The only negatives are the goofy controls on the radio/navigation system, although you get used to it, and the fact of when these things are out of warranty, they are expensive to fix.

1 2 3 4 5 next »