Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

great car and keeps runnning
By maizeandblue23

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have 120,000 miles on the ML. Its a safe, big interior with huge trunk and handles very well.

Does the trick!!
By richie353

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a new 2001 ML 320 and kept it for a year and spent the greater part of that year camped at the dealer with the myriad of problems. Things like I could not go more than 2 weeks w/o a headlight bulb on either side blowing or strange sounds coming from the undercarriage or leaks each time it rained, etc. My first MB had been a 1961 220S and was a fantastic vehicle so I knew what a MB was supposed to be! I became very vocal whenever I had to be there for another issue with the 2001 and either the dealer was going to give in or MB itself. I was finally offered a 2002 ML500 which had over 5000 changes made and 200,000 great miles have passed. No major problems, just normal things.

AWD, traction control, stability control, outstanding brakes, as much power as ever needed and then some! Driven in some nasty snow storms and it handles like summer time.

Anything I might mention now that the car is 10 years old would be redundant but the worst would be the terrible Xenon lights which require replacing every 3 years at $400. per pair! The biggest problems MB ever had in this vehicle was assembly in Georgia. The complete powertrain shipped from Germany (bulletproof), all the problems came through assembly. All that seems to be under contol now, though.

2002 ML 500 - great to drive awful to maintain
By jleneveu

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Safety, performance (fun to drive), all weather drving capability - wonderful vehicle. Maintenance costs on the other hand are unacceptable for a vehicle of the this class. Problems, you bet - 4 rear main engine seals in 96,000 miles at $1,300 per repair, front lower ball joints at 25,000 miles, engine oil leaks, interior plastic trim pieces breaking, $775 for brakes every 22,000-25,000 miles, three door panels repainted - rust problems, $1100 to repair ventilation system, and many more.

Handling - very good for a SUV though sway bars are a little stiff. AWD drive system is great for Colorado weather. Engine and transmission are smooth and powerful - this SUV gets going and it weighs over 5,000 lb!

Just find a way of kkeping the vehicle out of the shop - way to expensive to maintain and repair.

Not the best choice for a used SUV
By ml500owner

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since new. It now has 110,000 miles and is still like new since almost every part has been replaced or repaired at least once. I have found the car is easy to work on and most parts are available on line or at local auto parts stores. There are also great web forums to help diagnose problems and instructions for repairs. There have been so many problems I could not begin to list them all, but one positive thing I can say it has never left me stranded. I would only recommend buying this car if you have the ability to do most of the repairs and maintenance yourself, otherwise this car is just a money pit that is best avoided

Power, handling and comfort.

Many areas need improvement, which may have been done on newer models. I have found relays, switches and sensors cause at least half of all the problems I've had. They are easy to fix and fairly inexpensive but get tiring to have to always replace. The radiator and power steering have also been a source of constant problems since new.

Very safe & Solid SUV
By pkvoss

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a very safe and solid SUV, while it may lack some bells and whistles; it has all that it needs to be a solid SUV. I’ve owned 4 of these, 1998 ML 320 2000 ML 320, 2001 ML 430, and 2002 ML 500. It was my wife’s vehicle, I bought this for her to keep her safe, and when a new safety feature was released I traded in the previous one for a new one (stability control, curtain airbags…) I lost her to cancer at 31 years old. So now I keep her ML500 in the garage all waxed and clean. Some people complain about that the tires and or brakes wear out around 20k miles, I’ve experienced this too, but keep in mind that this SUV is almost 5,000 pounds, twice as heavy as an average sedan.

There are now better tire compounds available and some have a 60k or 65k mile wear out guarantee, I would recommend that tire (Continental CrossContact LX or Michelin Latitude Tour from tirerack.com or another online tire website.) Don't forget to have the auto trans serviced. Mobil 1 ATF is good.

I really like: Bi-Xenon headlights, rain-sensing wipers, (even the rear wiper activates if the wipers are on and reverse gear is engaged, wow), high and low range transmission.