Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

ML55 AMG 5.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

Multifunctional
By Pim Boekestyn

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought new in 2002. I use my ML55 for towing, luxury driving, shopping, delivery, anything you can think off and have so far driven 175000 km trouble free. At times I drive it hard and I just love it, It definitely is a keeper. Engine is like a sewing machine. never a wrong beat.

A truly reliable fast Chariot
By Emile

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I read some reviews about the ML55 stating that it drank too much gas and that there were little issues here and there. Initially I was hesitant but instinctively, I wanted to drive it to believe. My wife and I absolutely love the car. It is quick, reliable, sturdy, and a pleasure to drive, especially on the highway. It does not drink that much gas, only to the heavy footed driver. In fact, because of its weight, on the highway, once you build a speed and hold it, the car just cruises sipping on gas. The music is great and the stopping is excellent. No brake problems. We like it and its amazingly safe for the family.

Suggested Improvements

They should have put radio controls on the steering wheel.

Beware of the brake!
By David Tsuei

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

This ML55 was meant for my wife, and she does love this SUV. But the biggest problem with it, is the braking system. It was a nightmare! The disc only lasted less than 10k, over the 4yrs of ownership. We have spend over $4k on the brake job alone! As I have found out that MB has one of the worst braking systems in the world, and the worst part is that they insisted there are nothing wrong with it! I strongly suggest all consumers not to purchase MB, until they resolve the problems. Most of the other problems are minimum, as it comes with all luxory cars. We drive BMWs now, its a step down. But at the least, we don't have to worry about the maintenance!

Favorite Features

Very smooth take off, no slowing down once you step on the gas pedal. Interior is very well done, privacy glass are a good feature and the AC is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Windows can be lowered down with one push, but it stinks when you have to hold it to close! The cup holder must've been designed with their eyes closed, and doing 10mph. Everytime I take off, the drink just slams at us.

I Love It More...
By JJC San Diego

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

My 89LC was mint & incredible off- road, but was severely underpowered, handled like a ship, fatiguing, had no safety features, and got 10mpg, but I still loved it for what it was when I sold it after 9yrs. The ML55AMG's engine has an exceptional powerband, a fantastic interior, handles like a sports sedan, is extremely comfortable, has all the gadgets, can consistently get 15MPG (combined) if I don't "floor it" constantly, 18MPG on long trips, and is incredible fun. The cup holders are too flimsy, its has limited cargo space, and it has too much wind noise, but short of the Kawa ZX11 and 69 BMW 2002 I once owned, I've never loved a vehicle nearly as much

Favorite Features

Wicked engine, instruments, seats, steering wheel, safety, AWD, fat tires, dual exhaust, that AMG, hand built by one person in Germany ENGINE, it makes me smile everytime I turn the key, and smirk every time an unsuspecting driver futiley attempts to act like a jerm and power play me..

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the wind noise, build the rest of it in Germany, deliver it with nicer wheels; I just bought HREs for it

Think Twice Before Buying a BENZ!!
By bekri

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The truck was billed as Top of the Line with Mercedes Quality-While the engine performed well it was a PIG on as consumption!! The brakes went out after 11000 miles-unheard of for an American car let all the "top line" Mercedes truck- Also a number of minor problems such as a cracked storage bottle for washer fluid easy to break cup holders. Moreover, the service stinks-Mercedes was unwilling to assume any responsibilty for the brakes and wrote a letter saying in essence I was lucky to be driving a Mercedes. An underwhelming experience - Never again will I buy a Mercedes!!!!

Favorite Features

Performance engine

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue the model-stick to cars!!!!