2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
great car and keeps runnning
By maizeandblue23 on 12/21/13 21:08 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have 120,000 miles on the ML. Its a safe, big interior with huge trunk and handles very well.

Does the trick!!
By richie353 on 04/10/12 21:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a new 2001 ML 320 and kept it for a year and spent the greater part of that year camped at the dealer with the myriad of problems. Things like I could not go more than 2 weeks w/o a headlight bulb on either side blowing or strange sounds coming from the undercarriage or leaks each time it rained, etc. My first MB had been a 1961 220S and was a fantastic vehicle so I knew what a MB was supposed to be! I became very vocal whenever I had to be there for another issue with the 2001 and either the dealer was going to give in or MB itself. I was finally offered a 2002 ML500 which had over 5000 changes made and 200,000 great miles have passed. No major problems, just normal things.

2002 ML 500 - great to drive awful to maintain
By jleneveu on 03/16/12 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Safety, performance (fun to drive), all weather drving capability - wonderful vehicle. Maintenance costs on the other hand are unacceptable for a vehicle of the this class. Problems, you bet - 4 rear main engine seals in 96,000 miles at $1,300 per repair, front lower ball joints at 25,000 miles, engine oil leaks, interior plastic trim pieces breaking, $775 for brakes every 22,000-25,000 miles, three door panels repainted - rust problems, $1100 to repair ventilation system, and many more.

Not the best choice for a used SUV
By ml500owner on 12/14/11 05:49 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since new. It now has 110,000 miles and is still like new since almost every part has been replaced or repaired at least once. I have found the car is easy to work on and most parts are available on line or at local auto parts stores. There are also great web forums to help diagnose problems and instructions for repairs. There have been so many problems I could not begin to list them all, but one positive thing I can say it has never left me stranded. I would only recommend buying this car if you have the ability to do most of the repairs and maintenance yourself, otherwise this car is just a money pit that is best avoided

Very safe & Solid SUV
By pkvoss on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a very safe and solid SUV, while it may lack some bells and whistles; it has all that it needs to be a solid SUV. I’ve owned 4 of these, 1998 ML 320 2000 ML 320, 2001 ML 430, and 2002 ML 500. It was my wife’s vehicle, I bought this for her to keep her safe, and when a new safety feature was released I traded in the previous one for a new one (stability control, curtain airbags…) I lost her to cancer at 31 years old. So now I keep her ML500 in the garage all waxed and clean. Some people complain about that the tires and or brakes wear out around 20k miles, I’ve experienced this too, but keep in mind that this SUV is almost 5,000 pounds, twice as heavy as an average sedan.

its been great
By katana1127 on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

bought brand new and my 2nd ml320. no major issues so far, handles great rain or snow. would buy another.

Great car!
By Tina on 06/01/10 17:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

8 years- the car looks brand new. Leather in a perfect condition. All electronics work great! Never had any problems with the car. Fun to drive! I love it.

My mechanic loves me!
By veryave on 04/05/10 08:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck with about 70k miles in 2007. I have had nothing but trouble from this vehicle since i had it. Brakes go way too often, i have had to get some kind of rod replaced because it was making a crazy noise, also leaking in car, also alternator went and trans is starting to go and a few other repairs that were all fairly costly. when the truck is right its a great but ride but so many troubles make it not the purchase. my mechanic is a German car specialist and he flat out said these trucks are flat out headaches waiting to happen!

3 Years and Still Running Well
By lshelmir on 11/22/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the ML as a replacement to a '99 Range Rover, to get me through college, and after driving for 3 Years, I feel that it can go for at least 10 more, the car is doing well. I feel safe driving it anywhere, and like the styling. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, only minor things such as the battery, and brakes. The radio is better than some, but worse than others. The storage is great, I love having the 10 airbags, heater rest mode is a life saver in the winter. Drive quality is good, and reliability is unparalleled. Parts can be costly, but it is a Mercedes. However to tell the truth, I do miss the Rover, it felt more solid, both on dry road, as well as in the snow.

My 02 ML500
By SW on 09/15/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My ML500 has been a great car. Overall quality is very good. I currently have just over 90000 miles. Only problems have been radio vol going up and down w/o cause. Fixed by MB of Albq. NM after about 5 visits. I have always been treated with exceptional care by MB of Albq. Also tranny went out at about 70K miles. Fully covered by MB starmark warranty. I do tow a fair amount about 2K pounds (motorcyles). Vehicle always tows well and is always fun to drive. I have taken on pretty rough 4x4 trips with no problems and not new rattles. I always appreciate my ML after driving other vehicles that are not MB. Fuel economy is not good but I get about 13 in town and 16- 17 hwy w/o trailer. Lots of pwr