Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Electronics have defects, but good buy
By DDS

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this vehicle and have thus far not been surprised with what I found. It was a used vehicle with 50K of miles, but got the extra warranty and know that it will keep at least some of its value.

Favorite Features

Most comfortable & quiet SUV I've ridden in. Used to be a Jeep Cherokee owner and this is a very nice change.

Suggested Improvements

BIGGER gas tank; 2 gallons less than Jeep Cherokee which you don't think is a big deal - but wait. I'm getting 20 MPG. Need to ensure the electonics are working properly. I've experienced some electronics problems with the power to the radio, SRS light coming on, etc.

A good value used
By DSanborn

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle for my wife for Christmas. She has always wanted one. I was a little hesitant due to the reviews on Edmunds. It appears some people love them and some hate them. We purchased a certified one because of these concerns. It has performed very well and is comfortable to ride in. I really like how stable it is off-road. This vehicle is ridiculously over-priced new (as most are) but has depreciated nicely to where you can get a good sport utility at a reasonable price with a decent warranty. The best thing about the vehicle is the safety features. I bought it for my wife and young son so they could walk away from almost any accident. It's a tank!

Favorite Features

Very nice interior, memory seats, electrically folding mirrors, stereo, and lots of room. Durability of frame and safety features.

Suggested Improvements

The ML320 is underpowered for its weight. The brakes are the worst thing about this vehicle. They are way underpowered. Expect a lot of brake dust and stay off them if you can. Use the steptronic to slow down. Wax your rims or the brake dust will eat them away!

Reliable family car
By ahering

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 35,000 miles and I have just put 37,500 more miles in 4 years. It had brand-new tires and brake-pads when bought and it is just about time to replace them. I have spent about $500 a couple of time extra for repairs (not regular maintenance) and my only complaint would be that I have to keep an eye on the engine oil level. If I drive over 70 miles per hour on a hot day, it will surely burn oil. Other than that I am pleased with this SUV.

Favorite Features

It is a tank in the highway, I feel safe and enjoy the drive. Although you may feel it is underpowered, it has always responded very well when needed. Brakes have saved me from 2 car accidents, so it is a reliable SUV!

Suggested Improvements

It feels kind of slow when you start accelerating, but the reality is that it is a heavy SUV, what could I expect for a 3,200cc engine.

Thought it would be better
By lbf

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great car until it hit 107,000. New power steering pump $1000. Next month emmission air pump $1400. Drove it 4 miles check engine light came on again. Must clean engine vents. Maybe cleaned externaly for $650. If that does not work - $2000+. m selling the car. Lots of little stuff goes wrong.

Favorite Features

Great ride, lots of power, strong vehicle

ML55 AMG
By adboy10

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is a rocket, much better than the Yukon I had for 6 months and did not like.

Favorite Features

AMG motor, styling and handling

Suggested Improvements

Some minor annoyances, but that is to be expected with any pre-owned vehicle.