2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Drive it to Love it
By happyinTexas on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our first Mercedes replacing a tired Isuzu Rodeo. What a difference! Solid feel and response, while enjoying great engineering and interior fit and finish. You know that in a Mercedes, the German engineers WILL have their way with you, and some of the American frills like temp control, cruise control indicators, decent cup holders, and change on the fly CD player will have been pre thought out and arranged FOR you! Overall, however, a wonderful drive. I make my wife drive it in bad weather, because I know she's safer up high and well surrounded by a good crash cage. I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Junk
By da fred man on 03/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought it used, love driving it, been in the shop 8 times, getting rid of it before the warranty runs out. What a disappointment!

ML320
By PH on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Mercedes and won't be the last. Shortly after buying it my wife and kids were T-boned by another driver on my daughters passanger door. The other vehicle had to be towed away and the police told us that any other vehicle would have resulted in injury to my daughter. In the ML she was shook up but not injured as there was no intrussion to the passanger cabin dispite significant damage to the door. My wife was able to drive away. Repair was to replace the rear passanger door no damage to frame. This impressed me as to this vehicle's safety.

My ML320 Review
By UNHpro983 on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Among many of the reviews listed on this site, I, too, have had several problems with my ML320. To begin with, problems with the power windows, the power door locks, the alarm system, the airbags, lights coming on and off, etc. have caused me to make numerous trips to the dealer. Many of which I had to sit there and wait for because the dealer wouldn't give me a loaner. My Montero never gave me so many problems, and I am very skeptical about keeping this SUV after the service contract is up. The service is above a 10, but I do not want to have to pay for so many "little" problems.

Great SUV
By Charles McBride on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has been a great SUV. Looking forward to the new 2004 design.

LuvMyMerc
By esq on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car back in Oct 2001. It was a car owned by the dealership and driven by one of their execs. It had about 7000 miles on board. To date, I had no problems (none whatsoever) with the car although I have around 30,000 miles on it. Loving it..

ml32001
By adams2 on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The ML320 has been a great experience for me. This has been my first SUV owned and I have truly enjoyed and still is enjoying this vehicle. It handles very well (sturdy with a safe feeling). It just the perfect size and I can pretty much get around anything. I'm like a vehicle with a bit more pick- up and that is my reason for possibly trading and/or selling. Other than that this is one good riding/driving vehicle.

ml320
By santiagooooo on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

rack and pinion problems vehicle not reliable

Mercedes M-Class
By ahalkidis on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my ML320 for 16 months and have had numerous problems that have resulted in numerous trips to the dealer. The only saving grace has been the awesome treatment from the servicing dealer. I also had noise problems emanating from the dash area. The dealer had to actually take the dash apart and repair spot welds in the A-pillar! That was the only way to get rid of the noises! Besides the noises, I've had faulty power window switches, noisy power door locks, faulty light switches, noisy blower, and the list goes on. All these faults resulted in parts having to be replaced.

my opinion
By sm on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is the second ML I've owned and both have been totally reliable and fun to drive. Don't discount this SUV based upon some of the petty complaints passed around on the web, go drive one and see for yourself.