Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

What's Up with the ML320?
By Carl Chappell

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Easy to enter the vehicle. Good, firm, fronts seats with good adjustments for different sized people. Do not like the CD player being in the back of the vehicle. Good fit and finish. Engine noise not too bad, wind noise is negligible. Fuel economy is near 20. Good view from from seats, fair from the back. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Auto shifter is fun. Pulls 2000 lb. trailer with relative ease. Sound system is good with above noted exception.

Favorite Features

Sliding back seat. Ease of entry, good view of roadway. Size of sun roof good.

Suggested Improvements

Put CD changer in the front where the passengers are! Use straight six, instead of V6. (more torque, less steering pull)

So Far So Good...
By Rio

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my 2001 ML430 because my wife likes the styling. Paid $21K only at 21K miles through good ol' eBay. It comes fully loaded with Cognac design interior which is why I like it. I don't like the Navigation because it's outdated and too cumbersome to use. Great Bose stereo. Quiet sunroof even at 60+mph. Firm heated leather seats but at times too hot. Brakes only last for 4K-5K miles. Updated to aftermarket Brabus-style 18" wheels now the car handles and rides even better. MPG is BAD!

Favorite Features

Style, Handling and Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and updated Navigation

Never buy anything else!
By ex LR Owner

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many high end SUVs. The M Class is by far the best. Let's clear a few things up. It is a Mercedes. Don't expect to drive a year and never have any problems. That said, I have put 15,000 miles on this truck in less then a year and only had 1 minor problem. MB service is amazing, you never pay for anything. The truck handles like a sports car, no joke. I dumped a LR Disco for this and never looked back. The dealer is a pleasure to deal with. Don't buy this unless you are a real driver though. If you don't know what an apex is, if you're no interested in a 0-60 time, if you don't care about road holding index, this truck is not for you. You simply will not value it.

Favorite Features

Power, 5 Speed auto stick, seats, auto wipers, power folding mirrors, build quality, sunroof, size (mid size truck, full size interior, hence 'funny shape'), visibility, pillow leather steering wheel, flat folding rear seats, heated seats, under seat lock box, on board overhead computer, wood accent

Suggested Improvements

Glove box need a redesign, hinge problems. Could use auto climate control, which has been added for 2002. Dump the Bose stereo for a harman kardon one, in dash CD w/o having to get the nav system! that's it they did a great job on this one plus it is built in the USA!!

Piece of Junk....
By mograce

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV on May 21 and had to take it in 3x's for the same problem- accelerator hesitation. When I would mash on the accelerator, it would hesitate for a few seconds and then take off. They replaced parts on all ocassions and the problem still existed. I took it back this past weekend and the dealership paid me what I had bought the SUV for and I traded it in and bought a Yukon. I just assumed that since this was a Mercedes, that it wouldn't be a piece of junk and that it was of high quality, but the joke was on me. I could see that I was headed for a life of misery with this SUV and am grateful that I was able to get out of it.

Favorite Features

It sat up higher than most SUV's.

Suggested Improvements

A complete overhaul of the SUV. I'm just glad that I got out while the getting was good! I wouldn't recommend this truck to anyone, ever! It was a piece of trash made in Alabama, not Germany. It looks cute, but it was a total let down!

Mechanical piece of junk
By Suku

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My ML320 model 2001 is a shame to the SUV market. I had to take it back for warranty works 11 times in 3 years. Power switch console broke and replaced 3 times. Front windows jammed twice. Rear hatch door rattle fixed twice. Stalling still a problem after two services. Battery died every year. Power door locks broke three times. It is a junk. I wont buy another mercedes ever. Wrote to Mercedes several times. There was not response in the last three years.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Please discontinue selling this junk