2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews 4

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
If you want and SUV... keep looking!
By cjahr on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking to forge a strong bond with your Mercedes service advisor, then this car is for you! The ML is a far cry short of the quality that one expects from an automobile manufacturer such as the venerable Mercedes-Benz. This car has had more problems requiring shop intervention than I care to share, and ironically, when I shared my feedback with their national call center, they seemed completely complacent and offered no real advice other than to "lemon law it." So my advice, if are looking for an SUV, don't stop with the ML... keep looking!

Best Vehicle Ever
By Sherlock on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's a luxury car with the cargo room of a van. The TeleAid Service is a life saver. I found out last week when my battery finally went dead in a dark, isolated area and I had forgotten my cell phone. Their first concern was for my safety and well being and then wanted to make calls for me since I had no phone. Help arrived within 10 minutes and replaced my battery for free. When I bought this luxury vehicle I also bought luxury roadside assistance.

2+ years and I still like it a lot
By Lauri Miller on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I'm very happy with my ML 320. I'm getting good mileage, 17 mpg in the city and better on the highway if I could drive slower. The problem is the faster it goes, the smoother the ride. It almost seems to float down the highway. Problems were brakes wear out too fast, power steering fluid leaked out from a bad clamp and radio kept cutting out and took weeks to diagnose.

mechanical piece of junk
By harbor905 on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

three recalls -- one of which could have allowed serious injury or death -- and now the drive train is gone -- 26,000 total highway miles. the dealership has been outstanding -- but i guess they would have to be with this piece of junk. German kwowhow...i'll take japaneese quality.

good car
By mycar43 on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car as an executive car with 6000. miles on it. I really like the car however it has been back to the dealer at least 4x since purchased. seat belts always hang when released this has caused many dents in my door jam from the kids closing the doors with the seat belt hanging in the door jam. many cracks in the interior panels which service replaced, glove compartment door broke, as well as problems with the drivers side window not working.

My Second round - another Lemon
By LSuriol on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Mechanical Problems Persist...Transmission noisy and unreliable, fuel pump goes so car stalls while driving on highway, interior peels...etc...

An SUV Oxymoron
By Del on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

How can we say we love our ML 320 when it has been in the shop 9 time in 2 years. We have not paid a dime other than the HUGE aggrevation factor and there is an uneasinees of "What is next?" The main aggrevation is the unsolvable warm weather hesitation problem. We have driven a 2002 and a 2003 M-Class loaners that had the exact same hesitation. It is truly a great ride and one of the safest vehicles availble. However, we will not own it ouside of the warranty period.

sad but true
By phred on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Mechanically this vehicle is good for at least several hundreds of thousands of miles. The ride is as quiet and good as any luxury vehicle. The sound system high quality but the speakers are not well placed. The integrated MCS console for radio/cassette/CD/GPS/telephone is really well designed and easy to comprehend and use relative to its complexity. Brake wear excessive, full replacement at 10,000 miles! Second set of brakes lasted another 30,000+ (a lot more highway driving). Nagging electronic problems, still having mostly electronic problems requiring service calls & we've had the vehicle for almost 2 and a half years.

ml 320 AFTER 2 YEARS
By gARY on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I still love this vehicle after 2 years, all wheel drive awesome and its pretty quick too.

ML320 Overengineered
By pickaxpete on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Car had most unusual things go wrong. Replaced 2 Windshield washer containers, rear end and shocks, all audio failed on 700 mile trip, sunroof leaked, A/C leaked all over front passenger compartment.Rear seats difficult to work. Storage area had angled floor so luggage forced against rear door and cracked the door panel.