2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews 2

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Big disappointment
By Nailz on 09/12/07 20:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car as a Starmark certified vehicle from Mercedes. Almost immediately I noticed some issues: Two exterior plastic body pieces spontaneously broke, interior plastic parts seemed prone to breakage as well. Also, the breaks were very noisey and fluttery (dealer told me to live w/). Eventually, more serious (i.e. expensive) issues arose: fuel injectors became blocked, spark plugs fouled, coils needed replacement, power steering line ruptured... all within 21000 miles of purchase. Of the thousands of dollars in repair bills virtually nothing was covered by the Mercedes Starmark warranty. Shockingly poor quality, esp. from a company with such a premium reputation (and price tag)

Disappointed
By DB on 06/19/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I leased my first M-class in 2001 enjoyed it very much. End of lease purchased a 2001 M-class. Currently I have 85,000 on this M class with a easy care 100,000 mile warranty. Good thing, fuel pump (towed), gas/air mixture filter, sun roof air vents, electric window control, ESP and anti lock brakes. These were all covered by a warranty with a $100 deductible each time. Normal maintenance expensive. Oil changes $200 - $300. Rotors and pads for all four wheels $1,200, plugs and wires $800. I am thinking of trading it..

A great buy on the used market
By Steve on 06/12/07 19:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

After reading a lot of reviews ripping the ML55 I had to respond with my experience. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing a used ML55 and decided that this is the vehicle I wanted. After 6 months of searching for the right one I landed a one owner '01 w/ 50K miles for $19K. As the previous owner had the vehicle for 5 years all the usual small bugs everybody complains about have been corrected. To say I am happy is an understatement. I went from an '01 Durango into the Benz and could not be more pleased. The power, handling, and comfort are great. I don't know about $65K but for $20K on the used market they can't be beat.

2001 ML - 430 problems
By Bob E. on 03/07/07 08:22 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle new and now have a total of 23000 miles. The brakes were replaced at 22500 miles due to excessive noise [squeel] the new breaks also squeal bad have tried everything to quiet them down. Replaced the drivers heated seat. The GPS system stinks. I advised the dealer of a loss of water in the radiator and was advised that I needed a new water hose, six months later the hose came in that I had paid for, however no water leaked during that time. After many calls they finally gave my money back for the special order hose. No heat in the floor, dealer advised to shut off dash vents? Wow is this quality of MB or a page from a Model A Ford. All of my cars are garage kept.

A luxury and fun to drive SUV
By a women driver on 02/10/07 09:02 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have close to 70,000 miles on this ML55 and I didn't have any problems with it. Very fine detail in the leather interior front seats, lots of punch in the engine when you need it most, and the transmission has very smooth shifting. Brakes are great but make sure you use ceramic pads or the wheels will get dirty. Anyone who wants performance will have to pay for it at the pump so don't think it's free. If you drive expensive cars you'll pay for it. I'm very happy, It's an A+.

Love It!
By Dodie on 10/23/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is expensive to fix but I love it! I bought this car used without a warranty and everything I have had to fix i.e. brakes, shocks, oil changes, both head lights, a tune up; was not covered by warranty anyway. The dealership I go to now gives out airline miles according to how much you spend getting your car repaired so that makes the cost of maintenance/repairs somewhat better for the consumer.

9 Month Update
By DSanborn on 10/06/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd review of this car. I just bought a 24' boat and I'm using the ML320 to pull it. I'm extremely pleased with the towing capacity of this somewhat small SUV. It pulls a 4600lb boat with no problem and I live on a large hill. The low gear is a great feature that works well. We have had no issues with the vehicle and it has been fantastic. I drove it 2200 miles across country without an issue. I noticed the battery comment in a previous review. Be careful - Germans don't like maintenance free batteries so you need to check the water levels in your cells or it will die with no warning. I'm really impressed with the capabilities of this vehicle.

Diaappointed
By MAG on 08/19/05 21:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been a nightmare. The interior lights dim when the high beams are on so you can't see the screen for the radio and CD player. The seats are very difficult to fold down to carry large items. The battery died with no warning, the check engine light is on all the time,and we have been in for repairs constantly. The inconvenience is extremely aggravating. Plus the cupholders do not hold water bottles or coffeecups and the exterior paint chips every time I drive down the road. I will never buy another Mercedes!

A good value used
By DSanborn on 06/08/05 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle for my wife for Christmas. She has always wanted one. I was a little hesitant due to the reviews on Edmunds. It appears some people love them and some hate them. We purchased a certified one because of these concerns. It has performed very well and is comfortable to ride in. I really like how stable it is off-road. This vehicle is ridiculously over-priced new (as most are) but has depreciated nicely to where you can get a good sport utility at a reasonable price with a decent warranty. The best thing about the vehicle is the safety features. I bought it for my wife and young son so they could walk away from almost any accident. It's a tank!

A real man's suv
By lukaspeedracer on 04/10/05 23:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've driven several different SUV's and all were not what iIexpected at all, until I drove the battleship of all time. This ML55 AMG will do everything possible to get you from point A to B instantly with no hesitation, but it will cost you a little more in gas than most smaller engines. I am very happy on long trips with it. It's very comfortable and reliable. Drive it and you'll see just what im talking about.