Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

My new 8 yr old ride
By Passing Buck

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Traded my 04 Escalade ESV for this ML430 and some cash. Should have bought an M Class years ago. Much better engineering and build quality. More fun to drive, and more driver friendly and intuitive. Any bugs long since worked out, I think. Mileage is almost 17 city. Comfortable, and easier in & out. Smooth and quiet.

Love the fit and finish. Everything within easy reach.

It's a 2001. Many of the improvements I'd recommend have been made in later years. CD changer in the rear is a pain. Cheap plastic seat base covers.

Good Used SUV
By victor

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 2 years and have experienced some major repairs; however, the big stuff has been covered by warranty first dollar. My biggest gripe has been the fuel mileage - 17 MPG; however, the trade off is a larger vehicle that is comfortable and very safe, as well as stylish. You can get a used ML for as low as $6500, depending on the mileage. If you are into long drives and/or need a larger vehicle, I would recommend. I am looking to down size now as the vehicle meet its purpose with no major compliants.

Steering and handling. Easy to move in city streets

None.

By Reputation

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd M Class. Purchased the first model and was disappointed with all the problems it had. Gave MB another chance because of their reputation, believing they would fix all the issues. Bad decision - I only have 75K miles and it's been to the shop so many times, I lost count. Mechanical problems resulted in replacing the main computer (5K miles), power steering (pump went out at 11K miles), numerous sensors and fuel system components. Minor exterior and interior (broken plastic) parts are also a disappointment. I have gotten to know my mechanic very well. Forget MB and the status symbol. Every time I see an MB, I see my mechanic's shop. Not very reliable-only a name.

The Mercedes name

Overall reliability on all (interior, exterior, mechanical, etc.), better quality control and gas mileage.

Reliable family car
By ahering

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 35,000 miles and I have just put 37,500 more miles in 4 years. It had brand-new tires and brake-pads when bought and it is just about time to replace them. I have spent about $500 a couple of time extra for repairs (not regular maintenance) and my only complaint would be that I have to keep an eye on the engine oil level. If I drive over 70 miles per hour on a hot day, it will surely burn oil. Other than that I am pleased with this SUV.

It is a tank in the highway, I feel safe and enjoy the drive. Although you may feel it is underpowered, it has always responded very well when needed. Brakes have saved me from 2 car accidents, so it is a reliable SUV!

It feels kind of slow when you start accelerating, but the reality is that it is a heavy SUV, what could I expect for a 3,200cc engine.

2001 ML55 AMG-- Silver rocket!
By Daniel N.

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I had a 1998 E430 sport, great car, but decided to go with an SUV. It was either a Range Rover or a Benz. The Rover was a little out of our price range, so we went with the ML 55. If we were going to get an ML, I wanted the fast one. Gas mileage is about 18mpg, not great, but this is a very fun and cool SUV, not to mention it will spank every Rover I've seen. Fast, fun to drive, and I got slotted and cross drilled rotors and brake pads off ebay for $345 and only spent two hours doing them myself! No weak brakes on this ML! Will buy another when it gets 90k miles on it. Bought it with 52k miles and no regrets. Great SUV!

Red brembo brakes are a cinch to change, handling is precise, the awd system makes a nicely positive difference on wet pavement, good premium sound system, stable and safe. We also have a safe vehicle discount and pay less on this AMG than our 98 e430 for insurance.

If you want more upgrades than what this has, buy a newer one.