Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

2001 ML Disappointment
By tomresource1

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am a die hard Mercedes Benz customer, having purchased many of their fine automobiles over the past 35 years. Notwithstanding, my experience with their ML product has been disappointing at best. Presently, we own a 2000 E320 and a 2006 S500. In recent years we have also owned a 2000 SL600 and a 1997 SL500, along with a 2002 S55, 2004 CL500 Sport, 1998 C230, 1993 300E and several 2000-2002 S430 / S500 Mercedes products. We also owned a 1999 ML320 that was a disaster on wheels and until this past week a 2001 ML320 that was one of the worst vehicles that we have owned to date.

Favorite Features

We rescue / foster German Shepherd Dogs and depend upon our SUV to transport our animals on a regular basis. While the ML320 does have many great features that are supportive of our work with our K-9 friends, the reliability of this model is far less than what we would expect from ANY Mercedes Benz product. We cannot risk subjecting our precious animals to repeated electrical failures, climate control failures, transmission issues, doors that won't lock and windows that won't work; not to mention alarm systems that trigger for no reason with our dogs in the car. I'll never buy another ML again, EVER!

Suggested Improvements

Our current E Class and S500 are by far two of the best cars we have ever owned. We have had a multitude of Audi products, Bimmers, Saab's and even a few Jeeps and Chevy Trucks. Not even the Saabs gave us the headaches that the two ML Mercedes have. I have no clue what the issue here is with regard to the inferior quality and reliability of the ML product line, but it sure doesn't merit having the "Silver Star" affixed to this vehicle.

WORST CAR EVER!!!
By tim205

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car EVER the ML 320 CDI. After three years of annual repairs exceeding many thousands of dollars we are parting with our two MBs. The ML for obvious reasons and the CLK 320 out of principle will be traded for an Audi and BMW. We were told expect 200k miles at not even 100k we've dumped more money into this car. Ok we expect the service upsell and the cost of A and B service which are ridiculous. In addition we have received thousands of dollars in annual bills - breaks, steering column, steering fluid, multiple oil leaks, engine issue, tranmission issues. I will NEVER buy another mercedes and urge anyone considering to buy a BMW where the cost of owning is better

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy a mercedes

Good Used SUV
By victor

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 2 years and have experienced some major repairs; however, the big stuff has been covered by warranty first dollar. My biggest gripe has been the fuel mileage - 17 MPG; however, the trade off is a larger vehicle that is comfortable and very safe, as well as stylish. You can get a used ML for as low as $6500, depending on the mileage. If you are into long drives and/or need a larger vehicle, I would recommend. I am looking to down size now as the vehicle meet its purpose with no major compliants.

Favorite Features

Steering and handling. Easy to move in city streets

Suggested Improvements

None.

By Reputation

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd M Class. Purchased the first model and was disappointed with all the problems it had. Gave MB another chance because of their reputation, believing they would fix all the issues. Bad decision - I only have 75K miles and it's been to the shop so many times, I lost count. Mechanical problems resulted in replacing the main computer (5K miles), power steering (pump went out at 11K miles), numerous sensors and fuel system components. Minor exterior and interior (broken plastic) parts are also a disappointment. I have gotten to know my mechanic very well. Forget MB and the status symbol. Every time I see an MB, I see my mechanic's shop. Not very reliable-only a name.

Favorite Features

The Mercedes name

Suggested Improvements

Overall reliability on all (interior, exterior, mechanical, etc.), better quality control and gas mileage.

Reliable family car
By ahering

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 35,000 miles and I have just put 37,500 more miles in 4 years. It had brand-new tires and brake-pads when bought and it is just about time to replace them. I have spent about $500 a couple of time extra for repairs (not regular maintenance) and my only complaint would be that I have to keep an eye on the engine oil level. If I drive over 70 miles per hour on a hot day, it will surely burn oil. Other than that I am pleased with this SUV.

Favorite Features

It is a tank in the highway, I feel safe and enjoy the drive. Although you may feel it is underpowered, it has always responded very well when needed. Brakes have saved me from 2 car accidents, so it is a reliable SUV!

Suggested Improvements

It feels kind of slow when you start accelerating, but the reality is that it is a heavy SUV, what could I expect for a 3,200cc engine.