2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
2001 ML Disappointment
By tomresource1 on 09/27/13 23:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am a die hard Mercedes Benz customer, having purchased many of their fine automobiles over the past 35 years. Notwithstanding, my experience with their ML product has been disappointing at best. Presently, we own a 2000 E320 and a 2006 S500. In recent years we have also owned a 2000 SL600 and a 1997 SL500, along with a 2002 S55, 2004 CL500 Sport, 1998 C230, 1993 300E and several 2000-2002 S430 / S500 Mercedes products. We also owned a 1999 ML320 that was a disaster on wheels and until this past week a 2001 ML320 that was one of the worst vehicles that we have owned to date.

WORST CAR EVER!!!
By tim205 on 03/20/13 14:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car EVER the ML 320 CDI. After three years of annual repairs exceeding many thousands of dollars we are parting with our two MBs. The ML for obvious reasons and the CLK 320 out of principle will be traded for an Audi and BMW. We were told expect 200k miles at not even 100k we've dumped more money into this car. Ok we expect the service upsell and the cost of A and B service which are ridiculous. In addition we have received thousands of dollars in annual bills - breaks, steering column, steering fluid, multiple oil leaks, engine issue, tranmission issues. I will NEVER buy another mercedes and urge anyone considering to buy a BMW where the cost of owning is better

Good Used SUV
By victor on 01/04/09 00:26 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 2 years and have experienced some major repairs; however, the big stuff has been covered by warranty first dollar. My biggest gripe has been the fuel mileage - 17 MPG; however, the trade off is a larger vehicle that is comfortable and very safe, as well as stylish. You can get a used ML for as low as $6500, depending on the mileage. If you are into long drives and/or need a larger vehicle, I would recommend. I am looking to down size now as the vehicle meet its purpose with no major compliants.

By Reputation on 11/02/08 17:47 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd M Class. Purchased the first model and was disappointed with all the problems it had. Gave MB another chance because of their reputation, believing they would fix all the issues. Bad decision - I only have 75K miles and it's been to the shop so many times, I lost count. Mechanical problems resulted in replacing the main computer (5K miles), power steering (pump went out at 11K miles), numerous sensors and fuel system components. Minor exterior and interior (broken plastic) parts are also a disappointment. I have gotten to know my mechanic very well. Forget MB and the status symbol. Every time I see an MB, I see my mechanic's shop. Not very reliable-only a name.

Reliable family car
By ahering on 09/20/08 06:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 35,000 miles and I have just put 37,500 more miles in 4 years. It had brand-new tires and brake-pads when bought and it is just about time to replace them. I have spent about $500 a couple of time extra for repairs (not regular maintenance) and my only complaint would be that I have to keep an eye on the engine oil level. If I drive over 70 miles per hour on a hot day, it will surely burn oil. Other than that I am pleased with this SUV.

Beauty
By desolateraid on 03/16/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car just looks beautiful from outside. I play hockey and have and the steering column break and had the power steering fluid leak a couple times when the weather was under -40. Other than that, drives fast, guzzles gas, but looks good which is the most important right. I love how the seats fold flat. Seriously perfect. We are the 1st owner and love the ride. Gets you from point A to point B in style

Disappointed
By DB on 06/19/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I leased my first M-class in 2001 enjoyed it very much. End of lease purchased a 2001 M-class. Currently I have 85,000 on this M class with a easy care 100,000 mile warranty. Good thing, fuel pump (towed), gas/air mixture filter, sun roof air vents, electric window control, ESP and anti lock brakes. These were all covered by a warranty with a $100 deductible each time. Normal maintenance expensive. Oil changes $200 - $300. Rotors and pads for all four wheels $1,200, plugs and wires $800. I am thinking of trading it..

Love It!
By Dodie on 10/23/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is expensive to fix but I love it! I bought this car used without a warranty and everything I have had to fix i.e. brakes, shocks, oil changes, both head lights, a tune up; was not covered by warranty anyway. The dealership I go to now gives out airline miles according to how much you spend getting your car repaired so that makes the cost of maintenance/repairs somewhat better for the consumer.

9 Month Update
By DSanborn on 10/06/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd review of this car. I just bought a 24' boat and I'm using the ML320 to pull it. I'm extremely pleased with the towing capacity of this somewhat small SUV. It pulls a 4600lb boat with no problem and I live on a large hill. The low gear is a great feature that works well. We have had no issues with the vehicle and it has been fantastic. I drove it 2200 miles across country without an issue. I noticed the battery comment in a previous review. Be careful - Germans don't like maintenance free batteries so you need to check the water levels in your cells or it will die with no warning. I'm really impressed with the capabilities of this vehicle.

Diaappointed
By MAG on 08/19/05 21:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been a nightmare. The interior lights dim when the high beams are on so you can't see the screen for the radio and CD player. The seats are very difficult to fold down to carry large items. The battery died with no warning, the check engine light is on all the time,and we have been in for repairs constantly. The inconvenience is extremely aggravating. Plus the cupholders do not hold water bottles or coffeecups and the exterior paint chips every time I drive down the road. I will never buy another Mercedes!