2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
2001 ML Disappointment
By tomresource1 on 09/27/13 23:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am a die hard Mercedes Benz customer, having purchased many of their fine automobiles over the past 35 years. Notwithstanding, my experience with their ML product has been disappointing at best. Presently, we own a 2000 E320 and a 2006 S500. In recent years we have also owned a 2000 SL600 and a 1997 SL500, along with a 2002 S55, 2004 CL500 Sport, 1998 C230, 1993 300E and several 2000-2002 S430 / S500 Mercedes products. We also owned a 1999 ML320 that was a disaster on wheels and until this past week a 2001 ML320 that was one of the worst vehicles that we have owned to date.

WORST CAR EVER!!!
By tim205 on 03/20/13 14:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car EVER the ML 320 CDI. After three years of annual repairs exceeding many thousands of dollars we are parting with our two MBs. The ML for obvious reasons and the CLK 320 out of principle will be traded for an Audi and BMW. We were told expect 200k miles at not even 100k we've dumped more money into this car. Ok we expect the service upsell and the cost of A and B service which are ridiculous. In addition we have received thousands of dollars in annual bills - breaks, steering column, steering fluid, multiple oil leaks, engine issue, tranmission issues. I will NEVER buy another mercedes and urge anyone considering to buy a BMW where the cost of owning is better

Thought it would be better
By lbf on 01/21/09 19:13 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great car until it hit 107,000. New power steering pump $1000. Next month emmission air pump $1400. Drove it 4 miles check engine light came on again. Must clean engine vents. Maybe cleaned externaly for $650. If that does not work - $2000+. m selling the car. Lots of little stuff goes wrong.

My new 8 yr old ride
By Passing Buck on 01/10/09 19:09 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Traded my 04 Escalade ESV for this ML430 and some cash. Should have bought an M Class years ago. Much better engineering and build quality. More fun to drive, and more driver friendly and intuitive. Any bugs long since worked out, I think. Mileage is almost 17 city. Comfortable, and easier in & out. Smooth and quiet.

Good Used SUV
By victor on 01/04/09 00:26 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 2 years and have experienced some major repairs; however, the big stuff has been covered by warranty first dollar. My biggest gripe has been the fuel mileage - 17 MPG; however, the trade off is a larger vehicle that is comfortable and very safe, as well as stylish. You can get a used ML for as low as $6500, depending on the mileage. If you are into long drives and/or need a larger vehicle, I would recommend. I am looking to down size now as the vehicle meet its purpose with no major compliants.

By Reputation on 11/02/08 17:47 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd M Class. Purchased the first model and was disappointed with all the problems it had. Gave MB another chance because of their reputation, believing they would fix all the issues. Bad decision - I only have 75K miles and it's been to the shop so many times, I lost count. Mechanical problems resulted in replacing the main computer (5K miles), power steering (pump went out at 11K miles), numerous sensors and fuel system components. Minor exterior and interior (broken plastic) parts are also a disappointment. I have gotten to know my mechanic very well. Forget MB and the status symbol. Every time I see an MB, I see my mechanic's shop. Not very reliable-only a name.

Reliable family car
By ahering on 09/20/08 06:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 35,000 miles and I have just put 37,500 more miles in 4 years. It had brand-new tires and brake-pads when bought and it is just about time to replace them. I have spent about $500 a couple of time extra for repairs (not regular maintenance) and my only complaint would be that I have to keep an eye on the engine oil level. If I drive over 70 miles per hour on a hot day, it will surely burn oil. Other than that I am pleased with this SUV.

Beauty
By desolateraid on 03/16/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car just looks beautiful from outside. I play hockey and have and the steering column break and had the power steering fluid leak a couple times when the weather was under -40. Other than that, drives fast, guzzles gas, but looks good which is the most important right. I love how the seats fold flat. Seriously perfect. We are the 1st owner and love the ride. Gets you from point A to point B in style

Big disappointment
By Nailz on 09/12/07 20:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car as a Starmark certified vehicle from Mercedes. Almost immediately I noticed some issues: Two exterior plastic body pieces spontaneously broke, interior plastic parts seemed prone to breakage as well. Also, the breaks were very noisey and fluttery (dealer told me to live w/). Eventually, more serious (i.e. expensive) issues arose: fuel injectors became blocked, spark plugs fouled, coils needed replacement, power steering line ruptured... all within 21000 miles of purchase. Of the thousands of dollars in repair bills virtually nothing was covered by the Mercedes Starmark warranty. Shockingly poor quality, esp. from a company with such a premium reputation (and price tag)

Disappointed
By DB on 06/19/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I leased my first M-class in 2001 enjoyed it very much. End of lease purchased a 2001 M-class. Currently I have 85,000 on this M class with a easy care 100,000 mile warranty. Good thing, fuel pump (towed), gas/air mixture filter, sun roof air vents, electric window control, ESP and anti lock brakes. These were all covered by a warranty with a $100 deductible each time. Normal maintenance expensive. Oil changes $200 - $300. Rotors and pads for all four wheels $1,200, plugs and wires $800. I am thinking of trading it..