2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

ML55 AMG 5.4L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )
Performance and Style
By goldenvol on 02/16/09 13:21 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for 12K, it was a one owner. The engine performs great for an SUV. Handling is awesome for a "boxer" style car. Fun to drive plus very safe. I always feel I am in control while driving this auto. I did have to replace a Power steering pump ($625), but I expected to pay more for the service type work. I would strongly recommend this car.

2001 ML55 AMG-- Silver rocket!
By Daniel N. on 04/25/08 22:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I had a 1998 E430 sport, great car, but decided to go with an SUV. It was either a Range Rover or a Benz. The Rover was a little out of our price range, so we went with the ML 55. If we were going to get an ML, I wanted the fast one. Gas mileage is about 18mpg, not great, but this is a very fun and cool SUV, not to mention it will spank every Rover I've seen. Fast, fun to drive, and I got slotted and cross drilled rotors and brake pads off ebay for $345 and only spent two hours doing them myself! No weak brakes on this ML! Will buy another when it gets 90k miles on it. Bought it with 52k miles and no regrets. Great SUV!

A great buy on the used market
By Steve on 06/12/07 19:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

After reading a lot of reviews ripping the ML55 I had to respond with my experience. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing a used ML55 and decided that this is the vehicle I wanted. After 6 months of searching for the right one I landed a one owner '01 w/ 50K miles for $19K. As the previous owner had the vehicle for 5 years all the usual small bugs everybody complains about have been corrected. To say I am happy is an understatement. I went from an '01 Durango into the Benz and could not be more pleased. The power, handling, and comfort are great. I don't know about $65K but for $20K on the used market they can't be beat.

A luxury and fun to drive SUV
By a women driver on 02/10/07 09:02 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have close to 70,000 miles on this ML55 and I didn't have any problems with it. Very fine detail in the leather interior front seats, lots of punch in the engine when you need it most, and the transmission has very smooth shifting. Brakes are great but make sure you use ceramic pads or the wheels will get dirty. Anyone who wants performance will have to pay for it at the pump so don't think it's free. If you drive expensive cars you'll pay for it. I'm very happy, It's an A+.

A real man's suv
By lukaspeedracer on 04/10/05 23:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've driven several different SUV's and all were not what iIexpected at all, until I drove the battleship of all time. This ML55 AMG will do everything possible to get you from point A to B instantly with no hesitation, but it will cost you a little more in gas than most smaller engines. I am very happy on long trips with it. It's very comfortable and reliable. Drive it and you'll see just what im talking about.

This Car is NOT Worth It!!
By afrancis78 on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The power is awesome on the 55 but that is where it stops for greatness. The inside design is awful, no back- seat AC, and the back-seat window controllers are badly placed. The car needs constant service for its brakes which will squeak like an old Buick shortly after coming off the dealership lot, not to mention the fuel costs will put a hole in your wallet in no time. The driver's side window is imfamous for not working, and the alignment is off despite repeated attempts to fix it.

ML 55 AMG
By adboy10 on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is a rocket, if you've never driven one you better hold on!

I LOVE THE ML55 AMG
By ML55 AMG on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

NASA SHOULD USE THE AMG MOTOR TO LAUNCH THE SHUTTLE TO OUTER-SPACE!

Still fun
By henry42 on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

After owning an ML 320 since 98 this was such a big jump in power, smoothness and features.

an over-priced hunk of junk
By jon doe on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! The AMG engine, navigation system and handling are all excellent. Beyond that, you had might as well buy a ford festiva. The glove box, sun roof, elec. seat adjuster, optional rooftop cargo container have all malfunctioned or broken. The alignment has needed repeated repair. We had a flat, tire was patched. Patch gave way within one week. Dealership customer service is nonexistant. Brakes now sqeak and car stalls out frequently. A complete POS.