Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Great second car
By Steve Reade.

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The 2001 ML55 is now a very dated car, but drives like crazy! Great daily-driver, but 15-18 around town is a little expensive. However, it performs like a sports cars with stunning acceleration, very tight handling and good, if Mercedes-style very firm seats and ride. It's a sports cars that can haul a lot of stuff for a small car. Good off-road, but I don't do much of that. I've had mine for 8 years (second-hand) and 70,000 miles (currently @125,000). Repairs can be pricey at MB, but a good independent can handle it. Back seat is OK for short rides, but too bouncy and hard for anything longer than 30 mins. Brakes could stop a train (Brembos). Fun fact - Porsche developed the Cayenne based on the success of the ML55. There aren't many available as fewer than 3,000 were made and maybe half of those made it to America. It's a great second car that has the performance of a good sports car, comfortable, great MB interior (if muted) and you can haul a lot of crap, if you have to. What's not to love?

2001 ML Disappointment
By tomresource1

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am a die hard Mercedes Benz customer, having purchased many of their fine automobiles over the past 35 years. Notwithstanding, my experience with their ML product has been disappointing at best. Presently, we own a 2000 E320 and a 2006 S500. In recent years we have also owned a 2000 SL600 and a 1997 SL500, along with a 2002 S55, 2004 CL500 Sport, 1998 C230, 1993 300E and several 2000-2002 S430 / S500 Mercedes products. We also owned a 1999 ML320 that was a disaster on wheels and until this past week a 2001 ML320 that was one of the worst vehicles that we have owned to date.

We rescue / foster German Shepherd Dogs and depend upon our SUV to transport our animals on a regular basis. While the ML320 does have many great features that are supportive of our work with our K-9 friends, the reliability of this model is far less than what we would expect from ANY Mercedes Benz product. We cannot risk subjecting our precious animals to repeated electrical failures, climate control failures, transmission issues, doors that won't lock and windows that won't work; not to mention alarm systems that trigger for no reason with our dogs in the car. I'll never buy another ML again, EVER!

Our current E Class and S500 are by far two of the best cars we have ever owned. We have had a multitude of Audi products, Bimmers, Saab's and even a few Jeeps and Chevy Trucks. Not even the Saabs gave us the headaches that the two ML Mercedes have. I have no clue what the issue here is with regard to the inferior quality and reliability of the ML product line, but it sure doesn't merit having the "Silver Star" affixed to this vehicle.

WORST CAR EVER!!!
By tim205

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car EVER the ML 320 CDI. After three years of annual repairs exceeding many thousands of dollars we are parting with our two MBs. The ML for obvious reasons and the CLK 320 out of principle will be traded for an Audi and BMW.

We were told expect 200k miles at not even 100k we've dumped more money into this car. Ok we expect the service upsell and the cost of A and B service which are ridiculous. In addition we have received thousands of dollars in annual bills - breaks, steering column, steering fluid, multiple oil leaks, engine issue, tranmission issues. I will NEVER buy another mercedes and urge anyone considering to buy a BMW where the cost of owning is better

None

Don't buy a mercedes

Performance and Style
By goldenvol

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for 12K, it was a one owner. The engine performs great for an SUV. Handling is awesome for a "boxer" style car. Fun to drive plus very safe. I always feel I am in control while driving this auto. I did have to replace a Power steering pump ($625), but I expected to pay more for the service type work. I would strongly recommend this car.

Power and performance

The GPS and telephone is outdated.

Thought it would be better
By lbf

2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great car until it hit 107,000. New power steering pump $1000. Next month emmission air pump $1400. Drove it 4 miles check engine light came on again. Must clean engine vents. Maybe cleaned externaly for $650. If that does not work - $2000+. m selling the car. Lots of little stuff goes wrong.

Great ride, lots of power, strong vehicle