2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
The ML Experience
By Speedi on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I wanted an SUV that would last me for 10 years -- and up to this point, I admit I'm a little worried. Granted, it's only had 1 mechanical failure in 33k miles, but I have also replaced the brakes once. On the other hand, while the interior is a little dated, the SUV is built like a tank and is fun to drive. The ML430 is VERY peppy with the 24V V8. Would I buy another one? That's the real question, isn't it? Yes, I'd buy another one. The ML tends to get better each year I look at them.

ML's are cool!
By Butchdom on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

We enjoy our 1998 ML320, From the SF Bay Area we have driven it to Oregon, Seattle and British Columbia. We also have taken it to Las Vegas Nevada numerous times. The ML handles well on mountain roads at high speeds even in the rain. We take our ML on camping trips, cross country trips, lake picnics and we also tow our 17 ft. Bayliner boat. ML's are not perfect but name an SUV in it's class that is as tough? The ML can haul ass!

Mixed review
By j3 on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Like many ML320 owners, I have been frustrated over the last 3 years with numerous needed repairs. Early problems took away any new car fun. The dealership was very good about fixing the problems. My wife's 1998 E320 Wagon is a tank, few issues and superb build. It is hard not to lay the blame of the ML quality problems on the US based manufacturing. Still, the ML has not left me stranded, and if I could ignore the quality problems, it is a good size/design for my family of 5. Used it on several road trips. Still, I doubt I would buy another car made in America, regardless of brand.

Help Me!
By AnnS on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Wow, I should have read these reviews before purchasing this car. Started problems after 2 years (when I brought it to Canada and it got daytime running lights). Last 3 months in the shop 5 times, for weeks on end (there now for new engine mounts (2 weeks & counting). Replaced: catalictic converter, engine discs, mass air flow sensor, rate sensor, ignition coil, alternator, etc. Battery went dead, towed in. Embarrassing! UNSAFE, I bought it for the safety & reliability! Has put me & my family in dangerous situations when it stalls!

Very Disapointing
By Arsen Khachatryan on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Our ML had problems from the first day we got it. I am currently trying to get it a lemon status. There has always been a metal on metal sound from the drive shaft, but the dealership cant fix it. The car has cut off several times under normal driving. We have had four instances when the car would not start and needed to be towed. Once my wife was driving and the power steering gave out.Just last week I was stuck in Atlanta 350 miles away from home and the car needed to be towed, because it would not start. The fuel pump and lines needed to be changed. My first and last.

Look somewhere, anywhere else
By Candalerio on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Poor reliability, serivce, design and material quality sum it up. Endless trips to the dealer for repairs and each requires 4 days while they get parts. Requests to fix things are ignored because "its supposed to be like that". Resale value is a joke: it seems word is getting aorund. I don't understand how MB can have a good reputation producing cars like this. Obviously, I will never buy from this manufacturer again.

Love it when it is out of the shop
By Joro on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

It is a smooth quiet car with fair gas mileage. Very comfortable and easy to drive. However, many many small things go wrong and fixing it is difficult, at least for my dealer. Everything turns out to be not covered. The window lever went out 4 times in the first two years, the radio/navigation system went out 5 times while on warranty and now I have a 2500 dollar box that isn't working. The oil light went on for 6 months and they couldn't figure out how to fix it. The key did not recognize me for three weeks and three trips to the dealer, etc.

Safety, handling & value
By thechums on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I suppose the best way to think of an ML is that it's the least "Mercedes" Mercedes. A lower quality fit and finish is an obvious compromise in getting the price to the mid $30's. First, the ML is safer than most SUVs because of superb braking, multiple airbags (my 2000 ML has six), ESP (electronic stability program), and very good handling. The cabin offers fewer frills, but really only fails in the all important cup holder department. Operationally, the biggest improvement I can think of would be a larger gas tank for a little better range and fewer fill ups.

Awesome SUV
By KKawz on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

It seems strange to me that alot of these reviews are so negative about the M-Class. Other than a few minor problems (mainly switches and dashboard lights) my ML430 has performed admirably. It has impressive power and acceleration for its heft; the best qualities come out in high-speed driving. It feels very solid, and has that Mercedes vault-like feel. Also, it has cool styling that doesn't sacrifice function. Very luxurious and comfortable, yet doesn't have a real boaty ride like on some other SUV's.

Biggest Mistake of my life
By Taken for a ride on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

After 10 days of ownership an electrical short burned a hole in the headliner- in three years the engine has been replaced, 3rd set of brakes, fuel pump, srs system, abs failure, power steering problems, windowswitches, fuses, rattles, broken seat and heater, blown a/c--poor acceleration/decel- tranny issues undiagnosed. NEVER again- No one will give me a decent trade-in due to the vehicle history.