Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Expensive. Not worth it!
By j

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased this as a Starmarked vehicle with extended warranty. Have had more problems and needed repairs for a vehicle that cost as much as this did. Brakes have a squeal that our current dealer has checked at least 3 times and claim that nothing is wrong. Had the glue on the doors melt onto the windows. Now have multiple broken gadgets. Windshield wiper fluid tubes are rotten. I don't open the sunroof anymore because there is a suspicious cracking noise when it opens. The front seals at the windows are degrading, leaking water with rainshowers. Time to get a new car. Never again a Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

The CD changer needs to be up front.

I Hate it
By Damon

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I own 2 Mercedes. The ML430 has had nothing but problems. I will not ever buy another Benz again. I thought it was just the ML430, but my SLK is also a money pit. Very disappointed with Mercedes

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Make the cd-changer in the front instead of the cargo area, and make the GPS not use a CD. Extened the warranty to 100,000 miles

High maintenance car, low quality
By Stefan

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the car in Oct 2000 new, loved it for the longest time. But then the little things started, later got bigger and bigger. Like so many else had to get new brake pads every year (~$300), and new rotors every other year (~3,000). Then a pipe in the steering wheel went out on a 2hr trip. The pipe ($2?) was covered by warranty, the $1,500 damage to the steering wheel was obviously not covered. Great. Got it repaired, drive out the dealership, next day power brakes warning light goes on, damaged from some problem, another $1,500. Not with me, my friends. Bought a 2003 Nissan Murano just now, and the ride is so much smoother and more comfortable, no service issues.

Favorite Features

ABS, Electronic Stability and Traction Control. Loved the moonroof until it went out.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes! This seems to be the biggest problem. This car goes through brake pads like kids through PB&J. Overall quality and pricing of service. Once out of warranty, I cannot suggest taking it to the dealer ever again.

ML 320
By Ron

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I bought the vehicle new. 6 years and few problems. Oil sending unit did leak after 5 years. Didn't feel that should have happened. 48900 miles and still using original brake pads. Very surprised. Replaced switch for abs system. No other problems.Have changed oil every 10000 miles per fss.MBUSA insists on premium unleaded. I have burned regular unleaded for years. Can't tell any difference.

Favorite Features

Enjoy the vehicle more and more through ownership. Comfortable seats. Fuel economy is excellent. Long trips average 23mpg at higher speeds. Test drove an 07'ML yesterday. It was a little softer ride but seats were not as comfortable as the 2000. Go figure.

Suggested Improvements

Easier method of dropping the back seat which has been corrected with the '07, maybe earlier not sure.

Expensive
By jsmiles

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our 2000 Mercedes in 2006 because we got it for only $14,000, but this thing is horrible in reliability. The catalytic conveters went, and we could not drive it for three months. Also the car is very expensive to maintain, $80 for oil change, $600 brake changes, $30-$60 for gas. The car is a nice drive, and the interior has a nav whitch is an asset. It also has a third row seat whitch is useful. I would not recommend this car if you don't have a lot of money, but if you do, good luck.

Favorite Features

Nav is nice. The 3.2 V6 engine is very peppy. The leather is comfortable. The Bose sound system is nice

Suggested Improvements

Build quality and reliability need to be greatly improved. Drink holders are in a bad place.