1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Review: Decent Buy

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Review

Decent Buy
By mercara on

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this 1999 model in late 1998. I know the 1998 models and numberous problems. I have done 69K miles and have had the following warranty repairs. Transmission Control Module (Warranty) Driver Side Power Window Switch (Warranty) Alarm System (Warranty) Power Steering Hose (Recall) Auxulliary Cooling Fan Harness ( Out of Warranty: $400). Besides this I have done the regular maintenance, brakes, belts, etc. Overall it has been very reliable. I have never been stranded. I hear a lot of horror stories and sometimes think about trading it in. But since I have had no major problems, I don't want to start making new car payments and will probably keep it untill the first major problem.

I like the towing capacity, low-range gearing, AWD, Back seats are awsome. Third row seating. Gas mileage (Avg 18 mpg in mixed driving) Handles well in snow and rain. Good cargo space.

I wish they would not source any electronics from US Suppliers and build this thing in Germany rather than Alabama.