1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Sticks like glue to the pavement
By Greg Lynn on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I owned an Explorer before this and this vehicle simply outperforms the Ford except in highway ride feel. The ML bounces a bit much on long highway cruises like a short wheelbase sportscar. But overall this vehicle rocks. The way the ML sticks to the ground is unsurpassed. The advanced ABS and traction control make it act like it has glue on the tires under ANY conditions. I mostly drive in rain and while other vehicles slow way down I simply keep on trucking down the road at freeway speeds with full confidence.

My wife loves the ML320
By TerryBaltimore on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

This has been a wonderful car for the family. Teenagers and adults like the full back seats. The car has a solid comfortable feel, but does not drive like a truck. Our only problems have been with a gas gauge that doesn't register all the way to full and recently a dashboard light that burnt out for the clock. We also priced that cross country Vovlo at the time but thought this was a better buy.

Poor quality
By uro doc on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car has been in the shop several times. It has cut off in the middle of the road as well as a separate instance where the steering wheel locked up - both very dangerous situations. Plastic pieces have broken. The power windows broke on the night my son was born and I had to run back and forth from the delivery room to the parking lot so the repairman could get the window back up. It a fun and practical car but simply is not reliable considering it 2 years old.

40,000 Miles of Use
By William Odle on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

My Mercedes has been reliable and in general a joy to drive. Negatives: 1. 26,000 $900.00 brake jobs. 2. Everything done to the vehicle, not covered by warranty costs more than $400.00. 3. Rattles and squeaks. 4. Paint finish is pretty, but very poor in its ability to withstand normal road dings.

Fun - but rough ride not for families
By undotcom on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Perfect truck for the young and single to play around in...I can't imagine a more prestigous, inexpensive SUV. BUT... I bought the truck 3 years ago. It was highly rated in almost every safety survey and I could not imagine a better way to protect my wife and newborn son the road. The problem, it rides like a truck...Stiff suspension shakes the back seat passengers on the mildest of roads. Several of my friends have become car sick (first time) while in the back seat! Young parents should avoid this vehicle. Do not take newborns or young infants in this truck due to the amount of vibration their heads would endure.

QUITE A SUPRISE
By STEVE E. on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

When I first started comuting in it, I was pleased with the comfortable interior. While some would like more H.P. I find it gets up & goes when entering highway traffic. I am not towing a trailer & don't feel it is underpowered for my use. Fuel milage averages 20 MPG, but 90 - 95 % of that is highway. Of course I bought it as a sport utility & have roof racks for kayacks,(noisy when hauling.) I also own a boat & constantly bring supplies back & forth, plenty of room. I like the over the head tailgate, at 6'1" I don't hit my head. I have gone through several vehicles in the past few years, this one will be around for a while.

Great Car
By Mfetzner on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Its been a great car. I'm looking now for another for my wife. We fight over who gets the car!

Love the ML320
By Drewart on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car is excellent overall. It drives and performs like a true Benz (for those of us that know.)I have had many and this one is fun, fast, sporty, yet user friendly for those trips to the antique shows or for the mulch bags. Dynamic control and comfort for an SUV. I would buy this car again.

maluze
By maluze on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

The vast use of (hard)plastics in the interior of this $40,000 MERCEDES is astounding, and, makes the interor, without the wood trim,look like it would fit in a corolla. Ergonomics are good, but the gaping hole that resides under the radio controls is just, well, hideous.

ML 320
By sm on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this MB for about 2 years and have not had any problems except for a cup holder I broke with my knee that was replaced by Dealer free with no questions asked. The vehicle has been totally reliable and is fun to drive.