Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

I'd buy another
By don831

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I love this truck. I have put 100,000 miles on over the last 5 years with minimal maintenance. Typically get 21-23 mpg hwy/ 15-16 in town. Not bad for a 6,000lb truck. Down side is brakes! Mercedes recommends changing pads and rotors, very pricey and they wear very fast. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but this one may not wear out.

Favorite Features

Heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders. On this model, nav system was an option. Wish it came standard.

A sad attempt. Never purchase a MB.
By Edwin

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I have had so many problems with My 1999 ML430 (98K miles), I want to cry. Its been a very, very, troublesome vehicle from the day I bought it. My current stable is made up a BMW 3 series and Volvo S80 (as well as the ML430). The Mercedes has easily had twice (if not thrice) the amount of issues of both my other vehicles combined. Not to mention one of the poorest after sales service dealers I have ever encountered with a cost of ownership that is stifling.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Everything

This is a great automobile!
By DElovesMB

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

My ML 320 has never let me down. No major repairs, only routine maintenance. I have yet to see the "service engine soon" light come on. Performance, safety, and winter handling are unbeatable. This vehicle is glued to the road in any conditions! I still average 24 mpg on the highway at 70 mph (22 mpg at 80 mph)! My only complaints are with the interior. My rearview mirror adjustment knob popped off and I have not been able to find it. Well, what can you expect when the Germans hired someone else to engineer the interior? I am not disappointed, the interior it is still good, it just doesn't live up to the quality of the rest of the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Faster than Japanese cars. More reliable than Japanese cars. Looks better than Japanese cars. More stable than Japanese cars. Turns more heads than Japanese cars. Tows more than Japanese cars. More fun to drive than Japanese cars. Most importantly, its way safer than any Japanese car!

Suggested Improvements

My only complaints with the interior are with the quality of the radio/dashboard and center console.

Good but...
By smath

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Knew the car for all its life so bought it when it was being sold. I was mentally prepared to face issues but figured I'd treat myself to a Merc for a little while. Maybe because I was prepared, or maybe I was somewhat lucky, I didn't think the car gave me too much trouble - just enough to remind me that I bought it with 70K. For the 2 years and 20k miles I put on it, apart from the regular maintenance, I probably spent 1k, mass air flo sensors, brake pads and a couple of visits to check the 'check-engine-light'. For it's utility, saftey and the fact that it's a Mercedes, I have no regrets on owning it except maybe when I hit the gas stations lately.

Favorite Features

Bose speakers, safety, style, utility, 3rd row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, especially for the amount you pay for the car.

Avoid this like the plague
By C-Mun

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my ML430 for about 1 year and have spent close to $5000 in repairs. I wish I researched more on this problematic SUV. I've soon realized I am not the only ML owner that feels that way. After 2 days of owning it, the transmission had issues. It wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear (common prob), Gas guage not working properly (common prob), then Catalytic converter started making noise($1500 to replace), Window/Door lock switch panel didn't work (common prob NOTE: there's a relatively easy DIY fix for the window. Now the it won't start because the factory immobilizer has died. Let alone the normal maintenance.

Favorite Features

Decent looks (I have side running boards and the wide fenders), V8 engine sounds good

Suggested Improvements

Where do I begin? Fuel economy, Reliability, Reliability, Reliability, Better quality electronic components....oh and Reliability!