1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Never again for Mercedes
By jhduesterbeck on 12/26/06 19:47 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I traded in my Cadillac Deville that had no problems with 112,000 miles (never one repair) for this SUV assuming that it would be more reliable since it was made by Mercedes- Benz. Was I wrong. After 55,000 miles I had to replace the drive shaft. Then the harmonic balancer went out and took everything else out with it, that cost 1200.00 and turned out to be a recall. M-B reimbursed me 200.00 of the 1200.00. I have also replaced the transmission, transfer case, rear shocks, front struts. I have put almost 10,000 in repairs in this vehicle. The only good I have to say is the safety. I was the first car rearended by a surburban in a 4 car pile up and neither myself or daughter was hurt.

Owning a '99 ML320
By irishpigdog on 12/16/06 21:54 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I love the sensitivity of the gas pedal and the ease of the steering wheel, but the gas mileage is pretty sad. Handful of electrical panel problems, but nothing major. No engine problems so far from owning it for six years. Good vehicle.

Junk
By cthorin on 09/26/06 10:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Everything starts falling apart at about 80k. We've spent well over $2k in repairs in the last 6 mo. and I was just told that we've got an entire page of other issues that need to be addressed as I had it at the dealer for our third recall! Last recall we paid $1200 in repairs before they issued the recall. After telling us they'd reimburse us we had to wait 6 months before Mercedes did so, and only after we had to start legal action. MB is not even close to being in Toyota's league. It's disgraceful what they charge for these vehicles/service and unfair that only a dealer can check fluids. MB service shouldn't be required to keep the vehicle from repairs.

Great design and ride but quality stinks
By Island on 08/17/06 07:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a '99 ML320 since new and it now has 105,000 miles on it. I love the ride and utility of the vehicle and to be fair it has never failed to start nor has it ever stranded me except when the battery failed (and then a nice MB tech arrived to replace it at cost of battery). That said, the quality stinks. The car has been in the shop about 20 times for various bits and pieces failing or falling off. Everything from rusting lug nuts (within 90 days of new) to a failed steering sensor (requires replacement of entire steering column). This car is expensive and annoying to keep on the road. Final insult is that now the driver's door has penetrating rust. Buy a Honda Pilot instead.

Great car
By CaptainO on 07/17/06 18:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This has been an extremely reliable vehicle. I seldom have to take it in for anything other than routine maintenance.

'99 Mercedes ML320
By Colorado on 03/16/06 08:18 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

My wife's car. Wonderful for her - sits high with great visability & comfort. The AWD is supurb here in Denver - great in snow and it doesn't eat up tires as I feared it would (we get 40K miles per set). Gets only 20 MPG on highway at 75. (I don't even try to determine our mileage in the city!) Reliability has been better than some other owners reported: Replaced air mass sensor (expensive!) at 55K miles (it caused transmission to shift late or not at all). Replaced front brakes at 40K and 73K; rear brakes at 73K. Brakes/rotors are expensive, but very, very easy for a do-it-yourself project. (Brake parts for four wheels cost me about $350.) Transmission can't be serviced by non-MB shop.

All on How You Take Care
By M. Torres on 01/27/06 14:36 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Got the "Light Truck" 9 months ago. It came with dealer-installed running boards,full grille gaurds with PIAA foglights. Driving is always a pleasure in wintertime. Although quality is literally plastic moldings for the dash, they suit well enough for the price. Not the quality instituted in German-built facilities. Many speak of cars falling apart on them. If you don't follow the maintainence that Mercedes asks for the vehicle of course it'll fall apart. Service the vehicle every six months and it will go the distance in mileage. The cargo space with folded down seats and extra two 6th and 7th seats is roomy enough to say the ML's are willing to get a little dirty but still its a luxury SUV.

Can't Keep Up With Repairs
By RANDI on 09/19/05 15:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle 1 year ago used with 70,000 miles. Since then I had to replace driver side window switch ($482.00), cad converter($2000) oxygen sensors($1000),rear brakes & roters($1000), the interior squeaks, front squeaks, etc.. many more repairs to come and it did not hold its value I might as well just burn it!

Off Road for Many Miles
By Kokopelli Jim on 07/13/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

We have owned this car for about 60,000 miles, and had an extended warranty through last year. This car has been driven through city and country, with many miles off-road locating petroglyph and Indian ruin sites throughout the Southwestern United States. This is our third Mercedes and we have driven them an aggregate of over 250K miles, so I am somewhat biased toward the three pointed star. All of the suggested service was performed and the additional repairs required have totaled less than $1,000 which included the new platinum plugs at 100K miles. I would buy another one without a second thought.

MB as a rugged family car
By off_road_family on 01/13/05 09:08 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I needed a car in the AWD category which was suited for rough off-roading trips in the country and daily suburban mom, and which wouldn't embarass my husband when he had to park it next to his super-status-concious coworkers. For the money, this car fit the bill. Remembering there wasn't much out there in the smaller 6+passenger SUV category at the time and that this car was originally priced considerably less than the other entries in this category, like Lexus and Toyotas, I can forgive many annoying flaws. I'm still a loyal owner, but I haven't had any of the reliablity issues the other reviewers had, and I wouldn't tolerate them if I did.