Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

I loved my ML430!
By Pette_Shops

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my ML430 pre-owned(1 other owner) in 2004. The car was well taken care of and the maintenance books showed that the original owner KEPT THE MAINTENANCE UP on schedule!! When I purchased it had 40k miles at 5 years old at the time. I too kept the maintenance up with a VERY good Mercedes Benz dealership and this SUV did not give me 1 problem, until 5 years later at 120k, normal wear and tear and aging. At that point, any car will need replacement maintenance. I really enjoyed my ML 430, this has been a very good car to me and my family. Safe, reliable, beautiful...it aged very well, people were shocked that it was 10 years old last year! I look forward to my next M-Series!

...Its a Mercedes, what else can I say...The overall look(sleek), safety features, reliability. Very fun to drive. Very room, for a mid-size SUV.

Miles per gallon, wind noise, not as smooth as I would have liked the ride sometimes...even for a luxury SUV.

Do not buy the 98-99 model!
By Crazy4U

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car is awful! Bought it at 82k and now has 115. At 85 had to change oxygen sensors. 100$ each. So $400. Engine coolant started leaking at 88k, had to change the radiator. 120. This car is just awful. Good comfort.

nothing

everything

Twelve year experience with ML320
By Island

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have just traded in my 1999 ML320. We had a rocky relationship but it did last 12 years so it was not all bad. Frankly I loved the basic design, drive and utility of the vehicle. Maintenance was very very expensive and reliability reminded me more of GM than Mercedes. However, it never failed to start except when the battery died every four or five years so it did serve as reliable transport. So many little and bigger things required maintenance however that it was simply not economical to own and would have been cheaper to walk away from four or five years ago than to keep on the road. I finally threw in the town when the transfer case started acting up and repair was over 5 grand

Flexible cargo space. Comfortable highway ride and competent off road ability. Comfortable driving position and seat.

The 1998 and 1999 MLs were simply maintenance nightmares. Mercedes should have had a multi thousand owner loyalty program for ML owners. They didn't and I now own a fine Japanese replacement (CX9 Mazda) that is more reliable and way less to maintain. All for 20K less than the new ML.

Fantastic Vehicle
By Gavin E.

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Still looks great! Still feel's great! Still fun to drive! Owner is Master Mechanic but not needed, other than Transmission Replacement, but not to mention everyone else who has an ML has the same problem. 265,000 and still running strong, and still putting up a good fight. Hope I have many more miles to come. Beautiful design! Never regretted the purchase. Highly recommended. But! I'm sure that you will not buy an 11 year old truck!

Power, Interior, Stock sound system, Size

Transmission Reliability

Great Car!
By GavinJuly3

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car, had it since 2000 almost have 270,000 miles on it. But of course you're gonna buy a new one but if you already have one and are going to sell it then don't drive it until the wheels fall off!

Everything!