1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Excellent Vehicle!
By pacquio78 on 11/10/12 22:34 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Hey Guys! It's Gavin Back With The Updates On My 99' ML430, We Got Her Up To 306,000 Miles! Still Running Strong, Except For A Faulty Fan Clutch, But We Decided No To Put Anymore Money Into It Since We're Starting To Look At The New 550's. But The ML430 Was Definitely The Best Car I've Ever Purchased, And It Will Stay On That Position On My List! I'm Gonna Miss Her When She's Gone, But She's One Strong Girl!

I loved my ML430!
By Pette_Shops on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my ML430 pre-owned(1 other owner) in 2004. The car was well taken care of and the maintenance books showed that the original owner KEPT THE MAINTENANCE UP on schedule!! When I purchased it had 40k miles at 5 years old at the time. I too kept the maintenance up with a VERY good Mercedes Benz dealership and this SUV did not give me 1 problem, until 5 years later at 120k, normal wear and tear and aging. At that point, any car will need replacement maintenance. I really enjoyed my ML 430, this has been a very good car to me and my family. Safe, reliable, beautiful...it aged very well, people were shocked that it was 10 years old last year! I look forward to my next M-Series!

Fantastic Vehicle
By Gavin E. on 06/06/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Still looks great! Still feel's great! Still fun to drive! Owner is Master Mechanic but not needed, other than Transmission Replacement, but not to mention everyone else who has an ML has the same problem. 265,000 and still running strong, and still putting up a good fight. Hope I have many more miles to come. Beautiful design! Never regretted the purchase. Highly recommended. But! I'm sure that you will not buy an 11 year old truck!

Great Car!
By GavinJuly3 on 06/04/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car, had it since 2000 almost have 270,000 miles on it. But of course you're gonna buy a new one but if you already have one and are going to sell it then don't drive it until the wheels fall off!

A sad attempt. Never purchase a MB.
By Edwin on 05/01/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I have had so many problems with My 1999 ML430 (98K miles), I want to cry. Its been a very, very, troublesome vehicle from the day I bought it. My current stable is made up a BMW 3 series and Volvo S80 (as well as the ML430). The Mercedes has easily had twice (if not thrice) the amount of issues of both my other vehicles combined. Not to mention one of the poorest after sales service dealers I have ever encountered with a cost of ownership that is stifling.

This is a great automobile!
By DElovesMB on 09/13/08 09:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

My ML 320 has never let me down. No major repairs, only routine maintenance. I have yet to see the "service engine soon" light come on. Performance, safety, and winter handling are unbeatable. This vehicle is glued to the road in any conditions! I still average 24 mpg on the highway at 70 mph (22 mpg at 80 mph)! My only complaints are with the interior. My rearview mirror adjustment knob popped off and I have not been able to find it. Well, what can you expect when the Germans hired someone else to engineer the interior? I am not disappointed, the interior it is still good, it just doesn't live up to the quality of the rest of the vehicle.

Avoid this like the plague
By C-Mun on 07/24/08 22:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my ML430 for about 1 year and have spent close to $5000 in repairs. I wish I researched more on this problematic SUV. I've soon realized I am not the only ML owner that feels that way. After 2 days of owning it, the transmission had issues. It wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear (common prob), Gas guage not working properly (common prob), then Catalytic converter started making noise($1500 to replace), Window/Door lock switch panel didn't work (common prob NOTE: there's a relatively easy DIY fix for the window. Now the it won't start because the factory immobilizer has died. Let alone the normal maintenance.

Can't Keep Up With Repairs
By RANDI on 09/19/05 15:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle 1 year ago used with 70,000 miles. Since then I had to replace driver side window switch ($482.00), cad converter($2000) oxygen sensors($1000),rear brakes & roters($1000), the interior squeaks, front squeaks, etc.. many more repairs to come and it did not hold its value I might as well just burn it!

Off Road for Many Miles
By Kokopelli Jim on 07/13/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

We have owned this car for about 60,000 miles, and had an extended warranty through last year. This car has been driven through city and country, with many miles off-road locating petroglyph and Indian ruin sites throughout the Southwestern United States. This is our third Mercedes and we have driven them an aggregate of over 250K miles, so I am somewhat biased toward the three pointed star. All of the suggested service was performed and the additional repairs required have totaled less than $1,000 which included the new platinum plugs at 100K miles. I would buy another one without a second thought.

Decent Buy
By mercara on 01/02/05 22:23 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this 1999 model in late 1998. I know the 1998 models and numberous problems. I have done 69K miles and have had the following warranty repairs. Transmission Control Module (Warranty) Driver Side Power Window Switch (Warranty) Alarm System (Warranty) Power Steering Hose (Recall) Auxulliary Cooling Fan Harness ( Out of Warranty: $400). Besides this I have done the regular maintenance, brakes, belts, etc. Overall it has been very reliable. I have never been stranded. I hear a lot of horror stories and sometimes think about trading it in. But since I have had no major problems, I don't want to start making new car payments and will probably keep it untill the first major problem.