1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Terribly Unreliable
By drfaust91 on 04/08/14 15:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have had more problems with this vehicle than all seven other vehicles i have owned combined. Granted i did buy it with 100k miles on it, none of these things should be going wrong with a Mercedes Benz. I have had U-joints fail, bolts on both sides of my front suspension break twice, electronicsgo out on the center dashboard, three ignition coils fail, and the A/C compressor has gone out. Aside from that it has a rough ride like riding in a sports car without the fun. Much of the car uses cheap materials that can not hold up to everyday use. It does have decent performance for the size vehicle it is, though.

AWFUL VEHICLE ALL AROUND
By luke702 on 08/20/13 11:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I don't know what you people giving this car a good review are smoking, but what I do know is that drugs are bad. I've had about 21 vehicles so far, and the 99 ML320 is the most awful, poorly built, unreliable, thing (not a car!) that has ever been sold on this galaxy. The car was well kept and still it has 177k miles ONLY running because I have basically rebuild the darn thing. EVERYTHING on the car has gone bad! a few things such as clutch fan, a/c compressor, cold/hot air selector motor have actually been changed a few times! Other than that, name it (radiator, electrical components, all cabin controls for everything, drive shaft bearing, catalytic converter, suspension, etc) went bad

Do not buy the 98-99 model!
By Crazy4U on 08/29/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car is awful! Bought it at 82k and now has 115. At 85 had to change oxygen sensors. 100$ each. So $400. Engine coolant started leaking at 88k, had to change the radiator. 120. This car is just awful. Good comfort.

Twelve year experience with ML320
By Island on 08/09/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have just traded in my 1999 ML320. We had a rocky relationship but it did last 12 years so it was not all bad. Frankly I loved the basic design, drive and utility of the vehicle. Maintenance was very very expensive and reliability reminded me more of GM than Mercedes. However, it never failed to start except when the battery died every four or five years so it did serve as reliable transport. So many little and bigger things required maintenance however that it was simply not economical to own and would have been cheaper to walk away from four or five years ago than to keep on the road. I finally threw in the town when the transfer case started acting up and repair was over 5 grand

Still a Tank; interior falling apart
By mags3333 on 12/21/09 17:49 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Our ML320 is a tank. It's been serviced well & have had no reliability issues. But, the electrical problems. These repairs cost **$$$$** so we have lived with them. Odometer light went out, radio has to be manually turned off/on, gas mileage tracker quit working. Once, when it was parked out in the rain, it freaked out & the interior lights and whistles went off and flashed until we turned the car off. We park it in the garage now. A life saver in the snow - the four wheel drive was awesome (live in FL now - it's awesome on soft beach sand). We need a third row, though. The children are going to kill or maim each other soon in that back seat. We are trading it in soon.

I'd buy another
By don831 on 05/30/09 23:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I love this truck. I have put 100,000 miles on over the last 5 years with minimal maintenance. Typically get 21-23 mpg hwy/ 15-16 in town. Not bad for a 6,000lb truck. Down side is brakes! Mercedes recommends changing pads and rotors, very pricey and they wear very fast. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but this one may not wear out.

Good but...
By smath on 08/03/08 20:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Knew the car for all its life so bought it when it was being sold. I was mentally prepared to face issues but figured I'd treat myself to a Merc for a little while. Maybe because I was prepared, or maybe I was somewhat lucky, I didn't think the car gave me too much trouble - just enough to remind me that I bought it with 70K. For the 2 years and 20k miles I put on it, apart from the regular maintenance, I probably spent 1k, mass air flo sensors, brake pads and a couple of visits to check the 'check-engine-light'. For it's utility, saftey and the fact that it's a Mercedes, I have no regrets on owning it except maybe when I hit the gas stations lately.

An SUV that keeps falling apart
By Hoolala on 07/15/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This clunker I own has kept falling apart since 1999. Accordion skylight roof control died within 6 months, head lamp burned out in 9 month, rear cargo bay plastic sidewall cracked up and broken in 1-1/2 years, windows driver side windows control died in 2 years, one headlamp light bulb burned out in 9 months, lamp cover leaking water inside and got cataract-like problem that blocked light seriously, bad chair design that has blocked blood circulation in my right thigh every time I drive, no lumbar support that caused back pain, many mysterious noises all the time while driving, terrible OEM General tires that made the rear part skidded so dangerously every time turned. Super gas guzzler!

My Car
By Patty Squyres on 01/23/08 10:33 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car had bumper to bumper warranty for four years. It has had no major repairs. It had the belts replaced two or more years ago.

Hope for the best
By Juan C Aguilera on 10/08/07 21:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Since the purchase, the brakes were done, including the front and rear pads. The airconditioner compressor had a major leak, so it was replaced, check engine light on resulting in a tuneup because it had the wrong plugs, stability control light on/cruise control inoperative, replacing the brake switch corrected the problem. installed a K/N air filter, now highway mileage is 24.6 mpg at steady 65, not bad for the size and weight of this vehicle.