1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:
Terribly Unreliable
By drfaust91 on 04/08/14 15:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have had more problems with this vehicle than all seven other vehicles i have owned combined. Granted i did buy it with 100k miles on it, none of these things should be going wrong with a Mercedes Benz. I have had U-joints fail, bolts on both sides of my front suspension break twice, electronicsgo out on the center dashboard, three ignition coils fail, and the A/C compressor has gone out. Aside from that it has a rough ride like riding in a sports car without the fun. Much of the car uses cheap materials that can not hold up to everyday use. It does have decent performance for the size vehicle it is, though.

AWFUL VEHICLE ALL AROUND
By luke702 on 08/20/13 11:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I don't know what you people giving this car a good review are smoking, but what I do know is that drugs are bad. I've had about 21 vehicles so far, and the 99 ML320 is the most awful, poorly built, unreliable, thing (not a car!) that has ever been sold on this galaxy. The car was well kept and still it has 177k miles ONLY running because I have basically rebuild the darn thing. EVERYTHING on the car has gone bad! a few things such as clutch fan, a/c compressor, cold/hot air selector motor have actually been changed a few times! Other than that, name it (radiator, electrical components, all cabin controls for everything, drive shaft bearing, catalytic converter, suspension, etc) went bad

Excellent Vehicle!
By pacquio78 on 11/10/12 22:34 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Hey Guys! It's Gavin Back With The Updates On My 99' ML430, We Got Her Up To 306,000 Miles! Still Running Strong, Except For A Faulty Fan Clutch, But We Decided No To Put Anymore Money Into It Since We're Starting To Look At The New 550's. But The ML430 Was Definitely The Best Car I've Ever Purchased, And It Will Stay On That Position On My List! I'm Gonna Miss Her When She's Gone, But She's One Strong Girl!

I loved my ML430!
By Pette_Shops on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my ML430 pre-owned(1 other owner) in 2004. The car was well taken care of and the maintenance books showed that the original owner KEPT THE MAINTENANCE UP on schedule!! When I purchased it had 40k miles at 5 years old at the time. I too kept the maintenance up with a VERY good Mercedes Benz dealership and this SUV did not give me 1 problem, until 5 years later at 120k, normal wear and tear and aging. At that point, any car will need replacement maintenance. I really enjoyed my ML 430, this has been a very good car to me and my family. Safe, reliable, beautiful...it aged very well, people were shocked that it was 10 years old last year! I look forward to my next M-Series!

Do not buy the 98-99 model!
By Crazy4U on 08/29/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car is awful! Bought it at 82k and now has 115. At 85 had to change oxygen sensors. 100$ each. So $400. Engine coolant started leaking at 88k, had to change the radiator. 120. This car is just awful. Good comfort.

Twelve year experience with ML320
By Island on 08/09/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have just traded in my 1999 ML320. We had a rocky relationship but it did last 12 years so it was not all bad. Frankly I loved the basic design, drive and utility of the vehicle. Maintenance was very very expensive and reliability reminded me more of GM than Mercedes. However, it never failed to start except when the battery died every four or five years so it did serve as reliable transport. So many little and bigger things required maintenance however that it was simply not economical to own and would have been cheaper to walk away from four or five years ago than to keep on the road. I finally threw in the town when the transfer case started acting up and repair was over 5 grand

Fantastic Vehicle
By Gavin E. on 06/06/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Still looks great! Still feel's great! Still fun to drive! Owner is Master Mechanic but not needed, other than Transmission Replacement, but not to mention everyone else who has an ML has the same problem. 265,000 and still running strong, and still putting up a good fight. Hope I have many more miles to come. Beautiful design! Never regretted the purchase. Highly recommended. But! I'm sure that you will not buy an 11 year old truck!

Great Car!
By GavinJuly3 on 06/04/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car, had it since 2000 almost have 270,000 miles on it. But of course you're gonna buy a new one but if you already have one and are going to sell it then don't drive it until the wheels fall off!

Still a Tank; interior falling apart
By mags3333 on 12/21/09 17:49 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Our ML320 is a tank. It's been serviced well & have had no reliability issues. But, the electrical problems. These repairs cost **$$$$** so we have lived with them. Odometer light went out, radio has to be manually turned off/on, gas mileage tracker quit working. Once, when it was parked out in the rain, it freaked out & the interior lights and whistles went off and flashed until we turned the car off. We park it in the garage now. A life saver in the snow - the four wheel drive was awesome (live in FL now - it's awesome on soft beach sand). We need a third row, though. The children are going to kill or maim each other soon in that back seat. We are trading it in soon.

I'd buy another
By don831 on 05/30/09 23:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I love this truck. I have put 100,000 miles on over the last 5 years with minimal maintenance. Typically get 21-23 mpg hwy/ 15-16 in town. Not bad for a 6,000lb truck. Down side is brakes! Mercedes recommends changing pads and rotors, very pricey and they wear very fast. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but this one may not wear out.