Well-engineered and poorly assembled SUV
By Miguel K on
1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD
It is not an extreme off road machine, or a full time all wheel drive hot rod. It is a tall minivan; so donít expect a smooth ride like any MB sedan. Gas mileage is in the mid 20s, which is not bad for such a heavy car. The poor off road capability is due to the OEM tires. Once I replaced the stock 255x65x16 with a set of off road tires, my ML will go most places just like other mid size 4X4. MB needs to cut corners in materials to keep the sticker low. My only complaints are the doors. MB must have sub contracted the door design to Chrysler. ML door does not shut like German automobile at all. Driving lights could use some improvement. I added a set of driving lights to aid visibility.
Favorite Features
Distinctive style, all weather capability, better handling than a minivan, more room then a station wagon, not too tall to get in and out, high visibility, and best of all, and it is a Mercedes.
Suggested Improvements
Do not rely on MB dealer for car repair. Eventually you will need power window regulator, the good news is, it is not overly expensive. Establish a good relationship with a reputable independent German car shop. Do not jet wash or steam clean the engine; engine electrical is not 100% watertight.