Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

ML320 3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

Great but not perfectly reliable
By MLPerson

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle is great with the exception of subpar reliability. I bought it new after being on a list for a while, instead of an Expedition (~ same price). I can't think of an SUV currently on sale that I would rather own. It drives wonderfully, has an exceptionally smooth and quick shifting transmission, returns 18-24 mpg in varying conditions...Interior is very spacious and it tows a 4000 lb. boat without breaking a sweat while getting 16 or 17 mpg in the process!! The closest M-B dealership is fantastic.

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy, long service intervals, plush, quiet ride on Michelin LTX M/S tires (as mentioned), spaciousness, power, handling, great leather, towing performance...

Suggested Improvements

Engine should be smoother. Lots of teething problems, but reliable after that except for engine failure! It was replaced at 60,000 miles for suddenly burning 2 qts. of oil a week!!! Thankfully M-B covered it under (emissions) warranty. Hopefully this engine will be better.

Mixed Feelings
By MetroMike

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Even with all the bad press and reliability problems my wife and I decided to purchase the truck. It's been relatively trouble free, and reliable. Yes, there are some squeeks and rattles, but they're minor. What repairs we did have we're costly, but it's a Mercedes. To quote a mechanic that worked on the car... "You're better off with the devil you know then the devil you don't!" We'll keep it for a while longer. (We do like the Highlander though!)

Favorite Features

The car is comfortable, and has plenty of room for my family. The 6 cylinder has plenty of power... and the truck handles like a dream. We got the M1 package so there's a lock box under the passenger seat and an a six CD player. The real winner though is the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is cheap, and some of the engine conponents are poorly designed. For example... the Harmonic Balancer. If this $225.00 part fails when you're driving you better hope you're under warranty because you're looking at a total engine rebuild. That's BIG BUCKS for this ride.

Mixed Review
By FrostyPaw

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Drives wonderfully, but in 1 year we've replaced the wiper motors twice, had the driver window fail, the electrical system short out and had a rupture to the power steering fluid hose. Starmark doesn't cover much of anything and the service department is second class compared to BMW, Audi & Acura.

Favorite Features

The power of the car is wonderful and for an SUV, the mileage can't be beat. Great roadtrip car!

Suggested Improvements

The power window controls continue to confuse me and reliability is suspect.

Excellent vehicle.
By MM

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I got this in 1998 after being on a wait list for a few months. Everything is great about it and I cannot wait until I get a newer model of it.

Favorite Features

Spacious cargo and seating area.

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of.

Beautiful SUV
By BLKmercedesDRIVER

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car doesn't just look good, it feels and handles good. I am so glad I got this beatiful SUV

Favorite Features

Spacious Interior