1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

ML320 3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )
get out before warranty expiration
By redfearn on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

my truck handles like a sports car, and runs like the wind. however i who am notoriously light on the brakes go through a set of disc and rotors every 22000 miles. the dealership used regular oil instead of synthetic in the a and b services and it uses a good bit of oil. i have replaced the electrical controls for the windows every year. and the a and b services have increased in price from 79.00 for a and 179.00 for b. to 179.00 for a and up to 500.00 for b. i have noticed that the trade in value of this model hasn't held up as i thought it would for a suv that consumer reports rated as the best.

Somewhere between Bad and Good
By bd on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This was my first MB and it won't be my last, but this 98 ML has tested me. The engine is flawless, as well as, the ride and handling (better than most cars). But, the minor things kill the excitement - electrical components: dash, windows, wipers. However, my service department is professional and courteous... always willing to help. Plus, the Starmark warranty is the best.

buy something else
By ptowmdriver on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

my ML320 has had 37 service calls in 48 months, 19 of those for the same 3 problems (locks malfunction,windows malfunction, window controls stop working). I love driving the car but it is terribly unreliable. Fortunately I have a great dealer who picks it up at my home and brings me a

My ML320
By Ernest Ang on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I traded in this problem vehicle after 18 months

1998 ML-320 may not be worth the money
By B. C. Brown on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

The most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned has been my 1998 ML-320. This truck has had numerous problems with the electrical system and the engine. The engine was replaced with a new one in January 2002. From December 1999 to January 2002, this truck was in the "shop" about 15 times for various problems. MB North America paid for the new engine, as the manufacturer's warranty had just expired. Lucky for me, as I would have never had the means or desire to purchase a new engine for this truck. The best that I can say about this truck is that it hasn't returned for repairs since the new engine was installed.

I'll keep it...
By ML320 happyowner on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I've had very few problems with this car and the ones I've had have been minor. The drive is smooth and quiet as expected. Visibility and every day drivability are very good. The A/C is powerful to take the Texas heat. It's off-road attributes surpass any other. My only complaint is the plastic along the driver side seat. The seat bolster rests on this panel and is easy to break where it screws into the seat frame. The dealer wants way too much to replace it (over $600). I'll have to come up with a homemade alternative. Over all, I'm very pleased with the vehicle and impressed that I can maintain it for about $600 a year. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Lease is up in May!
By PatR on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

During the first two years this ML was in the shop 13(not a good #) times. The next two years were flawless except for routine service. I can purchase the ML for $24,000, but I am worried about long term reliability. Considering a Toyota Highlander or a Chevy Trailblazer to replace the ML. How has everyones ML been after the first two years?

Time To Trade
By bsdl1 on 03/17/02 07:42 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

After waiting a year to receive my ML I was thrilled to pick it up. The handling in bad road conditions is exceptional. The handling and ride are all I hoped for. Build quality is horrific. The original paint chipped in over 200 places on the hood, MB repainted the front end under warranty. Electrical problems persist. The trip computer has gone out, my wipers no longer work, the clock works intermittently. MB wants $145 to look at the wipers - no repair. The arrogance of the dealership is incredible as they make me wait 11 days to schedule an oil change.

Used SUV bargain
By renate on 03/16/02 10:10 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Best used SUV bargain around, especially with Starmark warranty!

1998 ML-320...Nice Ride
By BKR on 03/04/02 00:12 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Good mileage; good performance; highly reliable; go almost anywhere. Well worth the money.