1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

ML320 3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Mercedez-Benz ML 320
By Mike Bowling on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have thouroughly enjoyed my ML 320. I bought it used, which can be a scary thing, but have never had a problem with it. Handles very well and is fun to drive.

M-Class Poor Reliability
By smitty2 on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle looks reasonbly good, handles well, gets good fuel mileage, rides well, but is not reliable. Requires frequent service.

1998 ML320
By p_iyer on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

The good: relatively quiet interior easy entry/exit in spite of being a tall vehicle The bad: poor build quality brakes wear out prematurely poor transmission, jumps in and out of gears at low speeds Excessive wind noise at highway speeds

Nice ride
By Josh J on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I just bought this a few weeks with 96,000 miles on it. It drives just like a new car, the brakes are more responsive than most sedans. Which is amazing considering its over two tons. The interior build is not quite up to par though, when the bass from the boss system hits the interior rattles, and wind noise is excessive on the doors. On the highway it has a smooth ride and a great passing gear.

Mercedes Ain't What They Used To Be
By Dennis Hupp on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

First year or 2 had very few minor, but annoying problems -- glove box wouldn't close properly (still does not) and loose knob for adjusting the driver's seat back. Then fuel pump broke in 3rd year at 24,000 miles. Defective dealer workmanship resulted in 2nd fuel pump replacement less than a year later. At 31,000 miles and 4 1/2 years (after warranty expired) the fuel tank started leaking and needed to be replaced ($1,500.00). What do the commercials say about Mercedes' quality engineering???? Give me a Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, or a Lexus RX- 300 instead.

Great but not perfectly reliable
By MLPerson on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle is great with the exception of subpar reliability. I bought it new after being on a list for a while, instead of an Expedition (~ same price). I can't think of an SUV currently on sale that I would rather own. It drives wonderfully, has an exceptionally smooth and quick shifting transmission, returns 18-24 mpg in varying conditions...Interior is very spacious and it tows a 4000 lb. boat without breaking a sweat while getting 16 or 17 mpg in the process!! The closest M-B dealership is fantastic.

Mixed Feelings
By MetroMike on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Even with all the bad press and reliability problems my wife and I decided to purchase the truck. It's been relatively trouble free, and reliable. Yes, there are some squeeks and rattles, but they're minor. What repairs we did have we're costly, but it's a Mercedes. To quote a mechanic that worked on the car... "You're better off with the devil you know then the devil you don't!" We'll keep it for a while longer. (We do like the Highlander though!)

Mixed Review
By FrostyPaw on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Drives wonderfully, but in 1 year we've replaced the wiper motors twice, had the driver window fail, the electrical system short out and had a rupture to the power steering fluid hose. Starmark doesn't cover much of anything and the service department is second class compared to BMW, Audi & Acura.

Excellent vehicle.
By MM on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I got this in 1998 after being on a wait list for a few months. Everything is great about it and I cannot wait until I get a newer model of it.

Beautiful SUV
By BLKmercedesDRIVER on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This car doesn't just look good, it feels and handles good. I am so glad I got this beatiful SUV