1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class - Consumer Reviews

ML320 3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )
Used 1998 ML320
By tja623 on 03/25/13 08:28 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I just bought a used 1998 ML 320. What a gem!!!! Plenty of power/torque, good acceleration, and an AWD system that handles itself great in the snow. Everything works, leather is in perfect condition, Bose stereo is fantastic, everything is what you would expect from a Mercedes Benz. Previous owner was a Mercedes Technician, so the vehicle was very well maintained. His wife hit a deer, and he didn't feel like making necessary repairs. So I got lucky, being a co-worker of his, he basically gave me the car for 2K and i had to repair the vehicle myself. A fender, hood, & bumper later, and I'm four wheelin' in the snow!!! You would never know this thing is 15 years old with 200k miles on it!!!!!!

Never Left Me Stranded
By CJBENZ1 on 08/26/10 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

My suv has always been reliable I've had it now for 12 years, the biggest problem has been the window switches that have been replaced twice for $300. Every other repair has outlasted the manufactuers recomendations. I suggest finding a good German repair faculty,repairs are on the exspensive side at the dealer. I've gotten good gas mpg average 20.

Over 150k and going strong
By Eman on 07/16/10 21:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Reliable SUV, driven hard for 150k miles. Great in snow, mud and rough roads. 22 mpg at 75 mph. Low range has come in handy several times. Some maintenance issues with electronics, suspension and engine mounts.

It's been a good car
By waltzonice on 07/16/10 16:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I am the original owner, bought in April 1998 and now it's over 12 years old and 145k miles. Lots of little things, but nothing major. I love this car but it's time for something different. Ordered a 2011 Land Rover LR4.

Sue For the Key Problem I did and won
By susan on 05/14/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Never buy first year of new model. The main problems are only 8 keys allowed to be made. I had 6 keys replaced first year by Mercedes who never told me that once you hit 8 keys the whole locking system must be replaced for $4500. Should have been a recall. I sued in small claims court and won. Windows switch bad in all of them. I have replaced 4 times they only last 3 months. Should have been recall. They knew these problems all along but it was cheaper for them if people sue then do a recall.

very great experience
By pete mac on 01/17/10 09:06 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

This is one of the best Mercedes I have ever owned we purchased it with 170k now it has 195k year later and you won't know it if you drive it it gets great gas mileage compare to the other similar suv's the wife loves it but getting ready to get similar one little bit newer very happy from this ml.

1998 ML320, 175,000 miles
By Vicel on 12/08/08 20:10 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I have to agree with most of the reviewers. This is one bad MB. I've owned 3 MB but this is worst of all! From the day I've picked-up this car, I've had so many problems for next about 5-6 years. I've made so many trips to dealers. Luckly, many of the problems were fixed under warrenty. Many times, dealers would fix additional items without telling me though. Real poor build quality. However, I have to tell you that after all those repairs (all done at the dealership), my car has been "Finally" running real nice. I now have 175K miles and really runs very nice. I think it was after about 90K miles this car runs nice. I still would not recommend any one to buy any Mercedes models!

It's been a good car.
By DI on 01/06/07 18:27 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

We bought the car used with 64,000 miles on it. It's been a very good car, fairly reliable, but routine maintenance at the dealer has been expensive. Good gas mileage for it's size, good cargo area for my needs. Now has 112,000 miles and motor still great. Never left me stranded, but my clock stopped working last year and instrument panel would have to replaced at a cost of $1,000, so not doing that. Comfortable for me, but not my husband who is tall... he doesn't have near enough leg room, and even getting into the vehicle is a tight fit for him. It needs about another 6-8" of leg room for people over 6 ft. Back window wiper is loud. I still have the original radio which is pretty useless.

Engine light on & works fine? Read this
By James on 01/29/06 10:57 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Living in the heart of the Colorado Rockies I am surprised at how my ML320 performed in unforseen conditions on back forest roads, however I wish at times it had a bit better off-road capabilities (ML has the same clearance as LR Disco). My driver window regulator too went bad, a $200 repair. Also the check engine light has came on, if you get your codes read and it says fuel trim malfunction, there is a 95% chance your Mass Airflow Sensor needs replaced (located on the air intake hose just after the filter going to the motor)This will cost anywhere from $180-300 depending on where you get your parts but is an easy DIY when you have the part. Good overall SUV if you can afford well mantaince

Still unbeatable
By MS on 12/14/05 07:18 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

When I bought it back in 1998, the ML was the king of the SUV hill. So hot it was, I waited for 6 months for delivery. After almost 8 years and 140K miles of service, it's time for a replacement (mind you the truck is still going strong). The SUV landscape has definitely changed. A lot of new contenders, but no clear winner. You don't see a waiting list for any one of them. The whole SUV class seems to have softened. Where are the low range gears and the body on frame? My little ML has pulled many monster Suburbans out of the mud... in soccer field parking lots! After much searching, I've decided to buy another ML. A 2005 version, not the new 2006, as it's lost the true SUV spirit.