Sunroop Shatters While Driving on Highway
By fitness151 on
2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class GLK350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)
Hello, I would like to share my review regarding a newly purchased 2013 GLK 350 4 Matic. I made my first long distance road trip on 18 December 2013 from Virginia to Tennessee, then Louisiana and to return back to Virginia after the Holiday. As I was making my drive through Charlotte NC on I 85, at approximately 4:23 pm on 27 Dec 13, I heard a loud pop. I thought my tire had blew. I heard wind like noise and looked up and there it was. My sunroof had shattered. My shade was covered so no glass entered the car. The outside of the sunroof had spider lines. Nothing had fallen...it just popped. So now the SUV is at MB of Alexandria. I read reviews of issues with other cars and MBs as well. Wow!
Favorite Features
The color of the car and accessories. The sunroof is the worst since it did shatter for no apparent reason. This issue with the sunroof can result in a bad accident.
Suggested Improvements
Recommend a recall on the GLK 350 4 MATIC for the sunroof since it can shatter for no reason on the open highway at a speed of 70 mph which is the speed limit down South on I 85 and I 10. Thanks
By vedanthu1
on 02/19/14 16:44 PM (PST)

I experienced the same problem with my 2013 GLK 4matic. I was driving around 69 mph and heard a loud bang. My shade was rolled back, so can immediately see thousand of small pieces in sunroof glass. The cracking of glass continued for another 4-5 minutes, but fortunately it didn't come down. It was scary, especially the thought that glass is going to shatter on your head. The car is at dealer and hoping Benz can cover it under warranty, as there are numerous other Benz owners with same issues.