Used 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

GLK250 BlueTEC 4MATIC 2.1L 4-cyl. Twin-turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (4 reviews )

2013 Mercedes 250GLK
By jimtsang48

2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class Diesel GLK250 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I love driving this little SUV. It has the Premium 1 package but no Navigation. I have been enjoying the diesel experience so far. After 16,000 miles, my MPG average is 31.1, pretty impressive compared to the published 28 MPG. I do not purposely drive slow to get that MPG number. I average 60/40% HWY/CiTY. My advice is to find the cheapest Diesel pump as it usually sells most diesel and keep the fuel fresh.

I have had many high power gas engine cars over the years including exotics. Driving the GLK returns a somewhat different experience. Not a negative one at all but just different from the high HP gas engines. You feel "smoothness" in the delivery of power and you feel that there is alway untapped HP yet to be used. The power does not come instantaneously like the gas engines but it is available if you would time your right foot just a little bit. Going up steep terrain is a joy and you will be passing car with little effort. All in all, I am very pleased with it.

After 4000 miles, this SUV is perfect.
By marylander3

I'm getting 33 mpg in mixed driving (more than the EPA estimate, which is common for diesels). The quality is exceptional. My Mercedes dealer is making sure this, my first Benz, will not be my last. No complaints. One quibble: turn the radio off and the backup camera goes off, which is crazy. Ignore that eccentricity, and this is a perfect SUV.

Diesel, AWD, apps that send a nav destination to the care remotely.

Keep the backup camera on when the sound system is turned off.

2500 miles in, so far so good
By glayfan40

Have been driving the GLK250 since the end of June '13 and have had no major complaints so far. Zero problems (mechanical or electrical) encountered and it's simply a solid vehicle overall. Have been averaging 30-31 MPG after 5 fill-ups in 80/20 Hwy/City driving. That's from my own mileage calculations but frankly the on-board trip computer is not too far off (within 0.5-1MPG accuracy). I'm not exactly a lead-foot but I don't drive like a granny either (I'm 28 years old). This thing just eats road imperfection for lunch - I live in the NE region so there is plenty of that around. Can't wait to test out the 4Matic performance in the snow in another month or so.

TORQUE - loads of it (369 ft.lbs) from 1800rpm and up. This makes the car feel much peppier than it actually is (only 200HP for a 4200lb car). This is my first diesel and I'm already addicted. Fuel economy is just awesome for a vehicle this size. Transmission is very smooth - shifts are almost undetectable. (The 9-speed currently being developed should be even better when it debuts within the next year or two.) Column shifter seemed very ancient at first but then I started enjoying the extra space made available because of that.

Brakes seem little soft, backseats could use a bit more room, rearview camera and push-button start should come standard, navigation/infotainment system is in dire need of an overhaul/upgrade, both visually AND functionally. Power liftgate and pano roof should be selectable a la carte instead of being bundled with an expensive package. Wish it didn't come with run flats (or, in MB terms, Extended Mobility tires) but the ride is perfectly acceptable to me (I tend to prefer a stiffer ride). They are just expensive to replace down the road.

Tons of torque and great fuel economy
By thebayesian

I traded in an MDX looking for something a bit smaller. I had looked at the 2012 GLK but was really put off by the cheap interior. I was happy to see that Mercedes really improved on the interior quality for the 2013 GLK. I was a bit skeptical at first about the engine seeing as though it's a 4-cylinder, but it has an amazing amount of torque and when you hit the gas you'll feel it. It has plenty of passing power at highway speeds as well. The 7 speed transmission is very smooth.

Great gas mileage. The EPA estimate is 33 HWY, but I did a couple 30 mile stretches this past weekend and I was over 35 mpg for both. After about 1000 miles my combined city/highway has been about 28 to 29. My car came with PARKTRONIC, and boy is that nice. Even if you don't use it frequently for the automatic parallel parking (which works great by the way), just having this feature to get the parking sensors in front and rear is nice. I use those quite a bit, especially when parking in tight spaces.

The way Mercedes does the options on the GLK is a bit disappointing. For example, you need the premium package just to get heated seats. Really? I can get those standard on a Hyundai. Same with keyless-go. Those features should really be standard and it complicates the buying process because it makes finding the car with the exact features you want difficult to find on the lot.