2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mercedes-benz Gl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

You will think this is SUV is awesome if you haven't driven a lexus ever...
By Udaya Liyanage

2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I own 2014 GL550 for more than a year now. At best, this is an OK SUV. This is my second and last GL. MB does not have the reliability, built quality or attention to detail to warrant the price tag and more than $10k premium over other SUVs. GL is annoyingly unreliable. Keyfob stops working when it gets cold. You can get stranded outside your car in a cold night if your keyfob happens to get cold for whatever reason. Disctronic plus and Presafe features stop working in the middle of driving when it's rainy or snowy outside, when you need them most. I reported to MB customer service and dealership to no await. Other owners seem to have similar annoying problems they get used to. Why pay 100k?

Favorite Features

This is a vast improvement from previous GL. Ride quality and interior design is much better.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of electronics. When there is a problem, please fix it without being in denial. Get ahead of the curve when it comes to new features. GL still doesn't have some of the features Lexus and Infinity had for many years. Improve customer service.

Mercedes 2014 Gl 450 -- sweet!
By ghergenroeder

2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

This is truly Mercedes at its best. I never thought I would own such a wonderful vehicle. It is a little pricey, but it is worth every penny. I am really satisfied with everything about it. On the highway I can even average 21 mpg.

Favorite Features

I like the performance, horsepower and torque, along with a great ride. The safety features are great too, including lane assist and collision warnings. The third seat is a big winner.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Fun to Drive, lots of improvements
By avic

2014 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I was looking for a replacement for my 2011 GL450, and was getting tired of the poor user interface of the controls, hard to enter address on the navigation using the arrow keys, etc. The 2014 GL450 is exciting to drive. It is peppy, the controls are well laid out and the steering is light and responsive. The turn radius is tight, and a roomy interior. There have been a lot of small and steady improvements (see my list of favorite features below). It still feels solid (I had been hit by another car at 50mph on the driver side door in the previous GL and the solid door held up and protected me well). The technology and electronics has been updated also. Overall, a fun car to drive.

Favorite Features

1. Blind spot warning 2. Lane change warning 3. "Top" camera view is very cool and useful 4. Hot-cold beverage cup holder 5. Bluetooth Audio

Suggested Improvements

1) Fix the issue with not being able to input the navigation from the controls when the car is moving. My passenger should be able to add navigation. Now you are forcing me to use my iPhone google maps for navigation. 2) Make the car beep when I press the lock button on the remote control twice so that i can FIND my car in a parking lot and also an audio indication that the car has locked. The blinking lights is not very useful. 3) The headrests in the seats project too high and are weird. 4) Hitting the ‘Off’ button on the stereo should NOT turn off the navigation screen or the rear-camera. Happened too many times now. 5) Display calendar from phone on screen using bluetooth