Big, But Refined
By scottque on
2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)
Ordered the 450 in February and took delivery in April, convenience 2 and heavily optioned but skipped the off-road stuff, automatic cruise, panoramic roof, and lane-assist. Would have ordered the diesel but dealers steered me clear given biodiesel content in Illinois - no complaints with the V-8; sounds great. This is not, however, a car that cries to be driven fast - big (which is why I bought it), heavy vehicle. Awesome for interstate cruising or tooling around town. Very quiet; smooth ride, although I hate the numb electronic steering. Great styling inside and out. Command system works fine for me, extremely comfortable, lots of convenience features. As good as advertised.
Favorite Features
Park assist is fantastic; if you parallel park much, you should try it - saves your rims from scraping the curve, and the big vehicle has some blind spots (wish I would have got the blind-spot detection). Love the vented, massaging seats. Auto headlight package is very convenient and works well - bright, safe, looks great. I love the lighted running boards and interior ambient lighting at night. Great stereo. Commanding view of road; you just feel good driving this.
Suggested Improvements
Need more speeds than on/off for rear wiper - as it gets a lot of water on rear window. Steering really is numb, as all of the press writes about. Wish second row seats adjusted. These are mostly minor items (steering aside).